Thirty-Three: my little hippie girl

FINNICK

°•. ✿ .•°

"Alright, hey." I pause. "Wow. Loud clothing, eh?"

Daphne chokes and sits up from her spot on the couch. Her hair is messy, and a book is across her chest as though she fell asleep reading it. She glares at me for a minute, so I know her nap must have been good as she is frothing with hate.

She's wearing a very fluffy white skirt, and some sort of thin, very flowy top made of floral designs of every color of the rainbow on backgrounds of every color of the rainbow. Her shirt is a simple cropped, orange cami, and she's got on bright green earrings shaped like birds. All over her body, jewelry of all colors adorns her, and her hair is wrapped in several places.

She looks up at me. "I read a book, and it says that more colors of proven to stimulate your brain and make you happier."

I stare at her. "More colors? Or all colors?" I won't tell her how cute she really looks, seeing as I am not good enough for that.

Daphne stares at me, her eyebrows knitted. "I do not need this right now. Why are you in my house?"

I hold up a clump of clothing. "You said you were trying to learn how to sew and make your own clothes, so I brought you some old stuff that I don't really wear anymore." I toss them on her, and she rearranges them so they cover her like a blanket.

"Oh, well thank you." She remarks. She looks back to her book for a few seconds before seemingly remembering my presence. "Oh, you can sit down if you'd like."

"You're such a good host." I grunt as I sit down. I can see the TV playing Johanna's Victor interview, but Daphne isn't really paying attention to it. The volume isn't even on. "Why aren't you watching this?"

"I don't like it. I like Johanna more when we dance than when she recounts the people she's killed." Daphne says blankly as she flips a page. Her baggy, soft sleeves flow with every move she makes. I look towards the side table, which has a very healthy ivy growing on it. I point to it and look at Daphne for an answer.

"Plants are supposed to improve your mood." She tells me.

I nod, looking back at the TV. "You seem to be doing a lot to try and improve your mood."

"Yes, because it has been bad." Daphne retorts. I don't really like hearing about how depressed she's been lately, but I also don't want to make her feel like she can't tell me things. So, I just sit calmly and watch a clip of Johanna Mason throwing an ax into another tribute's skull.

Daphne pulls her legs back, and I frown, but she places them in my lap instead. She still reads her book, and I can feel the very soft fabric of her skirt. Discreetly, I snag a few glances at her, and her eyes are so closely trained on the book she's reading. Every time she flips a page, her delicate fingers curl and move in a graceful motion, and I find myself looking away again.

"What do you want to do for your birthday?" She asks. I had almost completely forgotten about it, but now, I remember that it's in less than a week.

"Hang out with you." I answer. It's all I ever want to do anymore.

"Okay."