Fifty-Four: snot stew

PEETA

°•. ✿ .•°

I don't know how long we might have sat here if it weren't for the arrival of the silver parachute, which glides down through the foliage to land before us. No one reaches for it. I, personally, feel a little shaken up since we just saw all of the dead tributes. I knew all of their names, certain things about them. Katniss looks disturbed, too.

Finnick, however, was a little unsettling about it. He... well, he almost looked pleased. Maybe I can understand why. He's trying to keep Daphne alive, and the dead tributes just mean he has less people to worry about. I can understand it, since I'm also trying to keep Katniss alive. Still, doesn't make it any less bad.

Daphne, on the other hand, looks like she's lost in a completely different world.

"Whose is it, do you think?" Katniss finally says.

"No telling." says Finnick. "Why don't we let Peeta claim it, since he died today?"

I untie the cord and flatten out the circle of silk. On the parachute sits a small metal object that I can't place, almost like a duck beak.

"What is it?" Katniss questions. No one knows. We pass it from hand to hand, taking turns examining it. It's a hollow metal tube, tapered slightly at one end. On the other end a small lip curves downward.

"Maybe it makes a sound, like to ward off something." I suggest. I blow into it to test that theory, but it doesn't make a single sound, and the only thing I accomplish is realizing how dry my mouth is.

"Pass it here." Finnick asks. I oblige, gently dropping it into his hand (why are his hands so huge?!) and he slips it onto his pinkie. "Is it a weapon?"

Daphne snorts. "Do it look like a fucking weapon?" Finnick jabs her left breast and Daphne groans as she holds it. Finnick smiles, and slips the tube off.

"Well, it's not very deadly, but it works."

Katniss takes it next, rolling it around in her hands to figure out what it might be. Since we're allies, Haymitch will be working with the District 4 mentors. He had a hand in choosing this gift. That means it's valuable. Lifesaving, even.

I think back to last year. I rewatched the Games once we got home, and I saw that Haymitch sent Katniss several gifts, while I got none until we met up. I was a little jealous, but anyone would be, really. But, I did learn that Haymitch sent her stuff only when she needed it. He refused to send water, because he knew she was right next to it. Haymitch must've sent this because he knows it's valuable, that it'll give us something we aren't close to, or something that just isn't in the arena.

Katniss twirls it around, carefully examining it. Slowly, her face scrunches up as it does when she's mad, and in a fit of frustration, she jams one end into the dirt. "I give up. Maybe if we hook up with Beetee or Wiress they can figure it out."

She lays on the woven grass mats, sighing in frustration. Not really knowing what else to do, I rub a tense spot between her shoulders, and it seems to relax her a little bit. I chuckle softly at Daphne and Finnick, who are rolling around in the grass as they fight for the little metal tube.

"Ugh! You are being such a brat!"

"It's my turn! You stabbed my booby!"