Chapter 8

Natalia left Manuel's the next day in higher spirits. They watched an episode of Sherlock, with the German subtitles, "however will you learn?" Manuel had said when she asked to turn them on. He bid her goodnight with another kiss on the forehead and a smile, while she curled up on his couch, which was surprisingly comfortable.

Natalia awoke to find a note on Manuel's coffee table, Morning Nat, hope you're feeling better. I had to run off to practice—feel free to eat my (I mean your) food. Text me when you wake up, I want to know you're okay. J Manu

Natalia managed a smile as all of the events from the previous evening came flooding back to her consciousness. Just as she looked around for her phone, it beeped, alerting her to an incoming text message. It was from Naomi.

Natalia, when are you coming to get the food crate for Müller?  

Shit.

Shit.

Natalia left Manuel's house, and shot him a quick text message letting him know she was awake and well and grateful for his comfort.

She bit her lip anxiously awaiting a conversation with Thomas as she drove over, the crate jostling in her back seat. She pulled up to his driveway and took several deep breaths before braving facing him.

"Thomas?" Natalia called out into the house from the garage, struggling with the groceries.

Thomas came out from around the corner, dressed head to toe in sweatpants.

"No training today?" She said standing up straight as Thomas took several bags from her hands.

"No...I," Thomas walked away from her and into the kitchen. "Lisa told me," he said turning around to face Natalia once they reached the kitchen.

"She-"

"Yeah. Thank you for covering for her...but she told me the truth...and it long and complicated and it wasn't just one time and...we're separating, Nat," Thomas said, quietly lowering into a chair.

"Thomas...I'm so sorry," Natalia said sitting down in a chair next to him, "I'm so sorry I got involved and lied for her and to you, it was a huge mistake on my part,"

"We were growing apart for months, I knew she was unhappy, and then Brazil—" Thomas said not meeting her eyes.

"You can't blame yourself Thomas, and you can't blame Brazil. Football, Brazil, they're all parts of you and I'm sorry it had to end this way, but if she couldn't take all of you, she shouldn't have any of you," Natalia said placing a hand on his arm.

"Its just hard not to," Thomas mumbled, "And you've been giving her all of the instructions on my meal plans..." Thomas said looking up and staring at Natalia in despair

Natalia couldn't help but smile, "Really? You think I'm going to let you starve?" She stood up, rolled up the sleeves of her sweater and wrapped an apron around her waist, "I'll stay for as long as you need me to," she said, fishing a mug from a higher cabinet and setting a tea kettle on the stove.