Chapter 16

Natalia was in her parents' kitchen, dancing in a black wrap dress, with baby Jamie perched comfortably on her hip while her sister and husband enjoyed a few quiet hours out with their friends. Jamie played with Natalia's necklace as she maneuvered around the kitchen, doing her best to clean up after dinner.

"You like my necklace Mr. Jamie?" she said kindly as his chubby fingers poked her collarbone, and made little gurgling noises "You will break hearts," she said simply, kissing the top of his head.

Just then she saw her phone light up, with Neuer's name staring mockingly at her.

"Oh this better be good Jamie," Natalia said to the 8 month old boy, picking up the phone and placing it under her shoulder.

"Hello Manuel," she said dryly

"Natalia!" Manuel said sounding surprised, "I didn't think you would pick up"

"Well you've got me. On New Years Eve. On vacation. With my family," she said not hiding her anger.

"I'm so sorry to bother you," Manuel began, "And I'm even more sorry about...our previous phone call. I was wrong to pick up and I just feel like everything has been so messed up since I turned you down and I didn't know how to tell you I was seeing someone—"

"Manuel," Natalia cut him off, "You don't owe me anything but an apology. I don't care who you sleep with, we're coworkers. What you do on your own time is your business. But Manuel that was so far over the line, I can't even begin to tell you how angry you made me," Natalia said firmly.

"I know, I'm so sorry, I wish I knew what to say to make it better," he said genuinely sounding sad.

"Promise me you will never ever pick up the phone when you're in the throws again," Natalia said seriously.

"I promise," he said genuinely, "I feel like we've been so weird since...yeah. I didn't make it better"

"No you didn't," Natalia said quietly. Just then Marco came into the kitchen.

"How is my favorite darling!" he exclaimed loudly.

"Oh you have company," Manuel said quickly, "I'll go. Happy New Year, Natalia." He said hanging up the phone before Natalia had an opportunity to respond.

"How has he been?" Tanya said walking into the kitchen, her cheeks pink from the cold, giving Jamie and Natalia a kiss on the cheek.

"A perfect angel," Natalia responded, handing him to Marco, who began spinning him around the kitchen.

"Don't get him excited! He'll never go to bed," Tanya protested weakly, sitting down at the kitchen table.

Natalia admired the scene in front of her, and felt a pang of jealousy. She felt so far from this. After finishing school, she assumed the pieces of her life would just fall in place. The two closest prospects to a relationship she had were a man who didn't feel the same way, and a recent divorcee, neither were confident.

"Natalia, you really should have come with us," Tanya said, turning back to face her sister, "Marco has some really cute single friends," she said with a mischievous look in her eye.

"Tanya..." Natalia began to protest

"Look, just go out with him once," Marco said, "If you don't like him that's okay!" he said as Jamie played with his fathers collar.

"Fine," Natalia said, throwing her hands up in defeat, "I swear if he's a disaster—"

"It's our fault," Tanya said smiling.

————

Hi!

So I start work tomorrow which probably means I'll be updating a little less frequently. I really love this story a lot, it means so much that you're reading! I'm hoping to have this part done by the end of summer, and a sequel out sometime in December...

As always, likes, comments and faves are appreciated!

—Parker xx