Chapter 15

Sal pov

I shot up from the pillow as I looked around the room. I was sweating, and my breath was shaky. What the hell was that? I woke up from a nightmare, though not uncommon. I've been having them a lot lately, though they have never been this bad. I looked at the clock, 4:37am. Lovely, still have plenty of time to try and get some sleep. I laid back down and wrapped my arms around Dija, who shifted into my embrace, placing her head on my chest. I stroked her hair, trying to get myself to fall asleep. As I looked at her, I remembered last night, and the events that took place. From Damien, how she stood up for me even though she must have been terrified, to meeting a new point in our relationship. I couldn't help but smile, I got to call my best friend, the girl I loved most in the world, mine.

I finally fell asleep, only to be awaken by an alarm all to soon. I sighed as I sat up, rubbing my eyes to try and wake myself up a bit more. I felt Dija get up from the bed and turn off the alarm, and I soon followed suit to get ready for school. It took a lot of dragging me around to get me ready however, because I really didn't want to deal with school today. "Sal, please don't make me drag you the entire time. I don't want to go to school either, yet here I am up and about." I sighed and knew I wasn't going to win this fight, so reluctantly I actually started getting myself ready.

Soon we were ready, and met up with everyone as we normally do to walk to school. Ash met up with us as usual, but this time the girls didn't seem to mind. It was nice to know they are being civil for once, hopefully we can all become friends, rather than it just be me and Todd wanting her around. Once we got to school, we all went out separate ways to class. I had math first, and to my dismay, Travis was in my class. We all took our seats and began preparing for the test. The test wasn't super hard for me, so I finished it pretty quickly, and decided to do some doodles to show to Larry later on. I guess I must have dozed off however, because I woke up to someone yelling something to me "Excuse me, Mr. Fisher? Sal wake up!" I quickly looked up and saw Mrs. Packerton looking at me

"That doesn't look like math to me." I nodded "Sorry, I must have dozed off, I already finished the test." "I know, dear, and you aced it as well. Just try to stay awake for the remainder of class okay?" I nodded, and noticed Travis looking over at me "And Mr. Phelps eyes on your own paper." I heard him scoff before going back to the test. Soon, class was let out and we went on about our day. After school, I decided to go back home and see Gizmo. I haven't been home in a little while, and I know dad isn't home much. Once I walked in, I heard him purring as he walked up to me. I picked him up and began petting him, walking over to the couch to watch tv.

Alice pov

Since Sal went home for the night, Dija and I went to hang out at Larry's place. Try and get some homework done, and help Dija out with her math. She really needs like a tutor or something- she is truly struggling "Guyssss I don't understand this bullshit at all. Why do we even need to know this in the first place? Not everyone needs to know the square root of a circle multiplied by the half measurement of a triangle!" I laughed "Because Di, they are just trying to make sure we learn this in case we go into a field one day that requires it." She huffed "The only thing that would require this kind of fuckery is being a teacher or a rocket scientist." We all laughed and decided to take a break from the homework for now.

Larry rolled up a couple joints and passed them around, making sure we all had one. We put on some music and smoked away, forgetting all our problems as we sang along to the songs. After a while we finished our homework, and Dija went back to our place, while I stayed with Larry. Though his room wasn't much different from mine, it was still a nice change every once in a while. I got to chat with his mom, we could all watch movies together, and most of all, I get to have Lisa's cooking. God her food was amazing, I wish I could eat it the rest of my life, and who knows, maybe one day I can.

Dija pov

Once I got home I went straight to my room. I was exhausted, and doing all that math made me so frustrated. I looked at the time, sighing Only 7:00pm. I decided to get some food, and watch a movie before I went to bed, in hopes I'd have an easier time sleeping. After the movie, I put my dish in the sink and prepared my lunch for tomorrow. I started bringing my own lunch to school, because whatever they are serving us, made me sick. Once that was finished, I popped it in the fridge and got ready for bed. I happily laid in bed, getting myself comfortable before soon drifting off into sleep.

The next morning I got up and got ready for school. It took a lot less time than normal, since I didnt have to drag Sal everywhere and get him ready. I swear sometimes he acts like such a child, however I love him anyway. I met up with everyone and we were on our way to school. We soon went our separate ways, and school went by as usual. Once lunch time came around however, things took a weird turn. "Guys, does this bologna smell funny to you?" I heard Ash say. "I thought last weeks was a little off putting, but it seems to be worse this week." Though I wasn't eating it, I could tell it was horrid. The smell was deadly, and I don't even want to know what it tasted like. The group continued with their discussion of the bologna until Chug piped in "Guys, can you not ruin lunch for me? It's the best part of the day." I chuckled a bit, and the others walked over to a different part of the cafeteria for a huddle, which I followed. They were talking about all the different things it could be made out of, and decided to try and test it in the science lab. I didn't really want to go looking around the school the entirety of lunch, so I just decided to stand guard of the science lab, in case anyone tried coming inside.

Sal pov

I walked around with Larry, hoping to find some clues as to what could be in the meat. We walked around for awhile before Larry got an idea. If I could make a distraction, he could try and sneak into the principals office and steal Kim's profile. I was hesitant, but agreed, seeing as it's the only thing we had come up with so far. I went outside to the courtyard and found a tennis ball on the ground. I look les at the window of the teachers lounge, and knew what I could do. I threw the ball at the window and ducked away so they wouldn't see me.

After that I met up with Larry, and he told me he wasn't able to get the file, so I'd need to distract them again. I sighed as I made my way back outside. I threw the ball once again, and prayed Larry had gotten it this time. I went back inside and he looked a bit freaked out "Dude, the file was missing!" My eyes widened "What! How is that possible? You were in front of the door the entire time!" He then laughed "Ahh I'm just fucking with ya, I got a picture." I rolled my eyes "Haha, very funny. Now let me see the picture please." He handed me the picture and I read over the file "I think I know what to do" I quickly rushed back to the cafeteria and walked up to Kim.

She seemed annoyed that I was once again trying to talk to her "I got something for you" I then handed her a picture of some birds I had taken when I was outside earlier. "What's this? A photograph?...of birdie?...You take picture, eh?" I nodded "Yeah, I took it for you. Just a small thanks for all the hard work you do." She thanked me, and eventually I was able to find out a little bit about the bologna. I quickly made my way back to the science lab, and told the group about what I just learned. "Whoa, now way dude. She lives in the apartments, how can she make her own lunch meat?" Larry said. I nodded "She tends to return at late hours. I believe that she keeps multiple jobs. Teachers don't get paid as well as you may think, so it's fairly common. Howeve, when Mrs. Packerton is home she makes quite a lot of noise. It's very peculiar."

Dija pov

Ash made a stupid remark as usual, and I heard Larry laugh "Heh, I don't know, what do you think Sal?" I looked to him "Let's do a little snooping before going to Packerton. I don't like the way this is playing out. If something nefarious is going on, it'd be best not to let Packerton know that we're looking into it." Everyone agreed, and I could tell this was going to be one hell of a night.