1| Five Years

TESSA SARIANO

TESSA SARIANO

Today marks five years without him.

       My best friend, Gio passed away when we were juniors in high school. We met in third grade and we were inseparable. I never thought about how life would be without him. I never thought I'd have to. Losing him was the worst thing that's ever happened to me, it's the worst pain I've ever experienced.

       When he passed, he was my best friend. However, when we were sophomores we discovered our feelings for one another. We dated for that whole year and into the beginning of our junior year. We broke up towards the middle of the school year and decided that we were better off as friends.

       Today, as I visit his grave, I'll clean it up and give him some flowers.

       Grief is different for everyone.

       For me, the pain never lessened or went away. I only became numb. Just now, I've gotten used to the fact that he's gone. Getting used to it makes no difference though. There will always be a Gio shaped hole in my heart and soul.

       I looked at his tombstone and a tear escaped from my left eye. Seeing Giovanni DeLuca on that stone is still so unreal to me.

"You are the best girl in the world. I love you, Tesoro." the words he once said echoed in my mind.

       For a moment I cried while sitting next to his grave and looking at the bracelet he got for me years ago. It's a gold plated bracelet with a dainty chain and it says; Tesoro.

       Gio came from an Italian family and spoke fluent Italian. As the years went on we had many different nicknames for each other. Nobody called him Gio, only I did. He knew that I loved him calling me nicknames in Italian and Tesoro was always my favorite.

"I miss you, Gio." I whispered, now standing in front of his grave silently crying.

"I've missed you too, Tesoro." I heard from behind me as a hand was placed on my shoulder.

I turned around and nearly screamed. However, I couldn't even form a sentence. Gio is standing right in front of me.

Am I dying? Is this what happens when you die? Do you suddenly see your dead loved ones?

I must still be in my warm bed, dreaming. Gio is dead. He died.

His house was broken into and he was killed. His family moved back to Italy and they were never seen again.

I cannot accept the fact that he's standing in front of me right now. This isn't real. It can't be.

He began speaking to me but I couldn't understand a thing he was saying. It sounded as if he was miles away.

My heart began beating faster than it ever has.

Within a matter of seconds I became dizzy, any and all sounds became inaudible. My vision began going blurry, slowly darkening before I felt myself falling.

494 words ❤️