18| Tattoos & Trauma

TESSA SARIANO

TESSA SARIANO

    I woke up and was immediately slapped with a brick wall of confusion.

    All confusion quickly faded as I remembered the events of last night and felt a sense of soreness, down below. I didn't want to move from the current position that Gio and I were in. His heavy arm is draped over my waist, my head is laying comfortably on his chest while his head is resting on top of mine.

    Occasionally he moved to reposition himself of hold me tighter.

    With my head resting on his arm, I traced his abundance of tattoos on his abdomen. My eyes widened as my fingers made their way up to a tattoo on his chest, right over his heart. Am I seeing this right? I sat up to clearly read the tattoo only to confirm my suspicions.

    Gio has my name tattooed on his body. It's a basic heart monitor tattoo with my name connected to it. There's also a small, blue butterfly on the end of it. I've always loved butterflies so much. Gio knows that.

    It's a beautiful tattoo, don't get me wrong. It's just shocking. I quickly realized that I expressed my state of shock too loudly as Gio's eyes fluttered open.

"Are you studying me, amore?" he's such a smart ass.

"Y-You have my name tattooed?"

"Yes, Tesoro. I mean, I'm surprised you didn't see it last night." a sinister smirk was spread across his face causing me to blush as I remembered the previous events, yet again.

"Shut up." I attempted to roll away from his touch but was quickly stopped as he grabbed onto me. He laughed at my surprised expression and repositioned us so that he was now hovering over me, inches away from my face. His plain, dainty, yet, probably expensive chain dangled near my face.

"When did you get it?" I asked.

"A year after I left. It was on your birthday, actually." I didn't respond, I only frowned.

"It was the first birthday of yours that we had been apart for since the fourth grade. I wanted to celebrate you in some way."

    I wasn't sure how to feel about Gio's explanation. He was getting a tattoo of my name on my nineteenth birthday because he missed me. He wanted to celebrate with me, but he couldn't. However, I sat by his grave and cried on my nineteenth birthday because I missed him so much.

    I've almost forgiven Gio. Despite forgiveness, it still hurts to know that we missed eachother in different ways. I missed him beacause I thought he was dead and I'd never see him again. He misses me because he left. I know it wasn't his choice, but it still hurt.

"Tesoro?" I looked over at Gio who was now laying next to me on his side with his head propped up on his arm.

"Yeah?"