10| Famiglia

TESSA SARIANO

TESSA SARIANO

"Oh my goodness! I cannot believe you guys are here!" I let go of Alessandra and looked at her in disbelief as she's barely aged.

"Chiara, you're so big now!" I looked at the girl who was twelve the last time I saw her. She was like a little sister to me, we grew up together.

"I've missed you so much, Tess." Chiara pulled me until another hug. Just as I was about to reply to her we were interrupted by the sound of little feet running.

"Hi!" the little boy said, looking up at me.

"Hi! What's your name?" I crouched down to his level.

"His name is Tino, he's my little boy." Bianca walked over to us.

"He's adorable, B. How old is he?"

"He's almost three." she said as I smiled and absorbed the bittersweet feeling of all of this. It feels like I've missed so much. But at the same time, I'm beyond ecstatic to see all of them. It's like a family reunion.

I walked over to Gio who was smiling and whispered a quick thank you in his ear.

"What are you thanking me for?" he shot me a confused smile.

"You brought my family back to me." I said, causing his expression to brighten as he pulled me closer to his side. With no objection, I leaned my head on his arm. A few minutes of us just standing like this went by. Bianca and Chiara were chasing Tino around, trying to get him to take his name and Alessandra was watching and laughing.

"I had to keep them out of danger too." Gio blurted out.

"Huh?"

"My mom and sisters. I had to keep all of the people I love in one place. I'm trying to protect all of you."

"I know, G. I know." It felt go to not have the desire to argue with him for once. I was just able to understand that he was doing his best. All I've ever wanted was for him to try his best.

Sometimes, well, more often than not. I hold onto the anger he left me with when he "died." However, when I'm not holding onto that anger, I'm regaining the love I've held onto for so long. I'm slowly remembering that although I'm angry for him leaving, it wasn't all his fault.

    Now that he's back in my life, I believe that he really is just trying his best. I'd like to think of this as our second chance. This our chance to do what we didn't do correctly the first time.

"Hey." I nudged him, making him look over at me attentively.

"I don't hate you, by the way. I don't think I'm capable of that." I smiled softly and walked away to find Chiara.

" I smiled softly and walked away to find Chiara