35| Motives

BIANCA DELUCA

BIANCA DELUCA

     After inviting Asad inside, I looked around the room to see that everyone was looking at me like I've absolutely lost my mind or something. Of course I expect them to think I'm crazy after letting Asad into the house, especially after everything he has put me through. Asad began walking up to Tino, slowly and seemingly mindfully and Tessa immediately scooped him up, almost shielding Tino from his father.

     Tessa stood up, with Tino in her arms and walked slowly away from him while looking at me.

"It's fine, I swear." I mouthed to her, causing her to reluctantly release her hold on my son and hands him to Asad.

"Tessa!" Tino yells out, pushing Asad away. I guess it's true that kids know when somethings wrong, they can sense danger.

     I watched as Tino ran back over to Tessa, looking to her for comfort before I walked over myself.

"Tino, angelo mio, it's alright. This is your Dad, say hello to him." I held my baby's tiny little hand and tried my best to make him feel comfortable to warm up to Asad. Even if he is a piece of shit, I do think that Tino should be able to have the opportunity to get to know his father.

A partially forced smile spread across my face as I watched Tino start to warm up to Asad. That same smile faded as I looked around the room at my family who all had disapproving looks on their faces. As I stood up and made my way back to the couch, a strong hand gripped my arm and pulled me aside.

"Bianca, che diavolo stai facendo?" my brother looked at me with a mix of confusion and anger as he spoke to me in a hushed tone.

(Bianca, what the hell are you doing?)

"Giovanni, per favore. I am trying to give my son the chance to bond with his father."

(please.)

"That is bullshit, Bianca. You and I both know that you have more self worth than this!" his said, in a disappointing tone.

"Fine, Giovanni. I do not trust Asad, nor do I believe that his intentions are pure. However, I know he is here for something, I just need to find out what."

"You need to be careful, sorella. I trust you, but he's dangerous."

"I know, little brother. I've got this." I said, not really believing my own words. I'm sort of trying to convince myself at this point. What if someone gets hurt before I find out what Asad's motive is? I can only hope that won't happen.

I took a deep breath, snapping myself out of my thoughts and softly patting Giovanni on his shoulder before walking away and returning back to the living room.

3 days later...

After baking for hours with my sisters, Chiara and Tessa, I found myself cleaning up the mess we made. Both of the girls found themselves passed out on the couch after eating too many of our sweet treats and landing themselves in a sugar coma.