Chapter 39

Florence invited Ominis, Poppy and Anne over on Sunday night to tell them the news of the engagement and for them to see Sebastian after his surprise early homecoming. They planned to tell them all about the proposal, the other news could be dealt with later.

After a day full of cleaning and cooking, all their guests arrived at the same time.

"Did you all rehearse this or something?" Sebastian asked as he opened the door, confused by the three of them standing there at once.

He let the guests in to the house, everyone taking a seat at the table. Ominis and Poppy sat next to each other and unusually close to each other, Sebastian taking notice as they all engaged in small talk about Sebastian's trip. His eyes narrowed as he looked at them, Florence chose to keep Poppy's admission of her feelings for Ominis to herself.

"What's going on with you two?" he said, his finger waving between Ominis and Poppy accusingly, Anne and Florence's attention drawing to them both.

"Nothing, Sebastian. What's going on with you two?" Ominis quickly rebutted, Florence noticing Poppy looking tense.

"No, no. I see what you're doing here. You pestered me about Florence for years, now it's my turn." Sebastian said, his eyes narrowing further.

Poppy opened her mouth to speak, but Ominis put his hand up to stop her.

"I'm not going to speak about this here, thank you." Ominis said defensively.

"Well, if you tell your secret, I've got one too." Sebastian said teasingly. Florence gave him a glaring look warning him, afraid he was about to tell them the other news, but he just smirked at her.

"... you go first." Ominis said, narrowing his own eyes.

"Florence, your hand please." Sebastian said, grabbing her left hand and flashing it to the group.

Anne and Poppy rushed up from their seats, running to Florence and hugging her and screaming and generally being excited by the news of an upcoming wedding, admiring the rock he'd placed on her finger two days ago.

"What is it? Why are you all screaming?" Ominis said.

"I proposed to her." Sebastian said.

"Finally you've come to your senses. Not sure why she would, but I assume she said yes?" Ominis jested.

"Yes, she did." Sebastian said, as if it was a silly question to ask.

Everyone returned to their seats, calmed down after the news.

"So? I told my secret, now yours." Sebastian said to Ominis.

"Fine. Poppy and I are seeing where things are going, enjoying each others company for the moment." Ominis said.

Florence looked at Poppy who was beaming at the news he'd broken to the group, confirming she was right in assuming their relationship might turn serious one day.

"Wow. I'm shocked but... well done. And here I was thinking you two didn't have anything in common." Sebastian said, giving Ominis a pat on the back.

They finished their dinner, breaking into small groups to reminisce. Anne, Sebastian and Ominis stood together like old times and Poppy had cornered Florence.

"Does he know?" she whispered.

"Yes." Florence replied.

"How did he take it?" Poppy asked.

"Not well at first, but I think he's come around now. I think we'll be alright." Florence replied.

"Is that why he proposed?"