Chapter 41

They woke early, meeting up with Ominis before heading to the Ministry together. Upon arrival, they were met with all the other Ministry staff tasked with this trip gathered out the front.

"Ah, Mr. Gaunt, Mr. Sallow and Miss McCallister. You're in this one." A worker said, marking off their names against a piece of parchment and guiding them to an empty carriage. Florence felt herself growing anxious as she realised it was being pulled by Thestrals, reminding her of her whirlwind start to her first year at Hogwarts. She stopped walking and began to breathe heavily, her chest tightening, the air around her becoming thick and heavy to breathe.

Sebastian turned around to face her as she stopped in her tracks, leaned in and whispering to her. "It will be alright. I'm certain there will be no dragons this time, I'm sure they've learned since George Osric."

She took three deep breaths with Sebastian holding onto her hands and finally stepped into the carriage, sitting opposite Sebastian and next to Ominis.

The convoy of carriages took off, following each other in a single file.

"How are you feeling, Ominis?" Sebastian asked.

"I'm feeling good. I think this isn't as bad as Spavin is making it sound." Ominis replied.

"That's what I told Florence last night. You two are going to have the easiest time anyway." Sebastian laughed, knowing he was going to be actively patrolling the streets. A much more precarious role than the other two.

"And how are you feeling, Florence?" Ominis asked her.

"Anxious. I don't know what to expect to be honest. I've been sat behind a desk for years, why am I suddenly out doing active work?" She said.

"I've always said you have a lot of untapped potential. Maybe this is a test. I did recommend your work to them." Ominis said.

"Hm. I was happy behind a desk..." she mumbled.

"No, you weren't." Sebastian laughed. "You've always complained about how boring it was."

"Alright, well, maybe if circumstances were different, I'd be excited to be here." She said.

"You're in a passive role, I'm sure you will be perfectly safe. I'll be with you the whole time." Ominis reassured her.

"Thank you, Ominis." She smiled.

"You, on the other hand..." Ominis said, directing his words towards Sebastian. "Try not to get yourself killed."

"I'll try my best." Sebastian scoffed.

They landed dragon-free and unscathed in a small established town just south of the Scotland border. Florence was sure she had seen it on the Hogwarts Express before.

They were ushered from their carriages and into homes the Ministry had somehow acquired for them. The three of them were lucky enough to have been divided into the same home, though Florence was given her own room due to being the only female on the trip. No one else knew about her and Sebastian's relationship either, besides Poppy and Ominis of course. There would be no sinful activities on this trip.

The rest of the evening was spent being acquainted with their other housemates. Leyton Phillips, an auror and Gerard Whitton, an obliviator.

Leyton had long blonde hair pulled back into a messy bun. His eyes were piercing green, his skin a light ivory and he seemed completely carefree, funny and approachable. He was not what Florence expected from an auror, considering the only ones she'd had anything to do with were Solomon Sallow and Professor Sharp. Both intensely different from Leyton who stood before her, laughing and joking with them.