Chapter 42

Three whole days Ominis and Florence spent at that window. Each day, they would wake up and walk down to their makeshift office and make themselves a tea and sit at the window, Florence watching Sebastian carefully.

"Have you heard from Poppy?" Florence asked on this particular day.

"I have actually. I won't indulge you with details as much as I know you want them." Ominis snickered.

"I do want to know but I won't press. You're both so infuriating, even Poppy won't tell me the details and she's my best friend... but, I do want to know what even possessed you both to begin seeing each other in such a way. I never thought you had much in common." Florence said.

"We don't. Funnily enough, what brought us together was you two. While you were both gone from the Ministry on your little sexual, self-discovery, prophecy hunt, we were some of the only people who'd been brave enough to return to the Ministry. She must have heard me cursing Sebastian under my breath because it caught her attention. She also had many qualms about him, mostly because of what he did to you. Seems he has that impression on a lot of people." Ominis chuckled. "But, the more she spoke, the more I seemed to fall for her. She listened intently, she spoke with such a delicate and caring tone. There isn't a bad bone in her body and she's frankly a nice change of pace after spending so many years with those Sallow's... and you."

"Hey now..." Florence laughed, slightly offended.

"You know what I mean." Ominis scoffed.

"Do you love her?" Florence asked.

"I... well, I wouldn't say love. Yet. But there's potential. I care for her. So deeply." Ominis said, a smile growing across his face.

"Don't worry, I won't tell Poppy." Florence reassured him, smiling at the thought of her best friend being so happy.

Just as Florence thought she may take a break for lunch, she heard commotion coming from outside. A large number of Ministry personnel began running to the left, quickly passing by the house, Florence unable to see what was going on and Sebastian was now out of her sight.

"What is it? What's going on?" Ominis said, hearing the commotion.

"I'm not sure, everyone has started running. I can't see Sebastian anymore." Florence stood up, panicked.

The street emptied, it went eerily quiet. All of the non-active duty Ministry officials were now gathered at the window, trying to catch a glimpse of what was going on outside, pushing Florence hard against the glass.

Suddenly, bursts of light began to light up in the sky with loud cracks and she heard yelling again.

"Sir?" one of the officials turned to Spavin, who was sitting safely in a corner.

"Go then." Spavin waved at them from the comfort of his chair.

Florence got caught in a rush, being shoved out the front door. She caught Ominis' hand and guided him in the crowd to where the large group had moved to. When they reached the next street, she was confronted with the view of hundreds of people. Fighting. This was new to Florence. It wasn't just dark wizards and good wizards. Muggles were here too. She didn't know where to start, simply casting Protego continuously to keep herself alive.

"Ominis, you have to go! It's too dangerous!" Florence begged him.

"What about you?" he yelled back, concern written on his face.

"I need to find Sebastian! Go up that alley behind you and wait. I will be there as soon as I can!" she yelled, shoving Ominis towards the alley and whipping out her wand quickly.