Chapter 6

As Sebastian appeared to sleep peacefully, tired from his diving efforts, but Florence couldn't wait to view the prophecy. She exited the cave, tip toing outside and throwing the glowing prophecy record against a rock. It shattered and a fine mist appeared, an unfamiliar voice speaking to her.

"The one who wielded the ancient magic is not alone, seeked and found it will be."

Florence couldn't believe what she had just heard. The prophecy was extremely vague, much to Florence's annoyance but someone was after it. She stayed outside the cave, waiting hours in front of the warm fire as it dimmed for Sebastian to wake up, her backside hurting from the sharp pebbles as she sat on them. The morning sun began to tickle her nose and she threw rocks onto the black lake, attempted to get them to skip, realising she had been awake most of the night. She heard footsteps in the pebbles behind her and turned around to see Sebastian, he'd thrown on his boots, trousers and the button up from yesterday, though he hadn't bothered to do it up, his chest firmly out on display. Florence tried hard to forget about the moment they almost shared last night as she had to break the news of the prophecy to him.

"I viewed the prophecy." She told him, as he took a seat next to her, also beginning to fling rocks into the lake.

"What? Without me?" he seemed offended.

"I know, I'm sorry, I couldn't sleep." Florence apologised, staring out to the lake as the dawn break make it twinkle as the small waves lapped on the rocks. She told him of the vagueness of the prophecy and how it didn't really help much, just that someone was after it. But she didn't know who or when they would be after it.

"So that was really just a waste of time. I almost drowned for nothing." Sebastian huffed.

"Well, now I know you weren't lying about the prophecy so it counted for something." Florence commented, her mouth spurting words before her brain could stop her from sabotaging the good place they seemed to be in at the moment.

Sebastian furrowed his brows and gave her a scowl.

"Lying? Why would I possibly want to lie about it?" he quickly rebutted.

"I don't know, Sebastian. Maybe trying to come back to the life you once had. Why else would you come to London? I'm here... Ominis is here..."

Sebastian cut her off before she could continue anymore low blows.

"Oh, please Florence. I couldn't care less what you both were doing. You refused to help me or Anne, so I cut you off. I even made a promise to myself it was for good. Why would I suddenly change my mind for no good reason? We broke up for a reason, Florence. I didn't just suddenly decide five years later that I wanted you back. I'm here because I made you a promise all those years ago to protect that magic and I've told you before, I always keep my word. No matter what." Sebastian's words cut Florence deep, like a knife.

She had assumed him coming to her for help meant he'd moved on from the past, but it was clear he still held onto some resentments, as did Florence.

Sebastian had kept searching for any answers for something that could help alleviate Anne's curse while Florence dug deeper into her ancient magic knowledge. By the end of their seventh year, Florence believed she had complete control over it. Sebastian begged and begged her to finally lift Anne's curse, but Florence believed the Keepers. She didn't want Anne to become a shell of what she once was and frankly, neither did Anne. So, she refused. She collected the ancient magic from the repository under Hogwarts and took it to a location only she knew of, she didn't even tell the original keepers, but she was the only keeper now. He was mad. He felt betrayed, that he'd waited two years for her to figure it out, only for her to reject him at the very end. He gave up on Florence. He told her to never speak to him again and that's when she had heard he'd left Feldcroft forever.