Chapter 23 - The Past

Florence met Sebastian in the Great Hall for breakfast, joining him at the end of the Slytherin table as she had done many times in the past. If felt strange sitting without Ominis this year, but she didn't want to press Sebastian on the status of he and Ominis' friendship. Sebastian had taken comfort in Florence's company and Ominis with some other Slytherin students. She didn't think they had spoken at all or acknowledged each other at all since the few times after the catacombs. She had heard people whispering about why they had fallen out, but Ominis had given Florence his word in the past that he would never tell anyone what Sebastian had done in the catacombs.

Florence shuffled closer to Sebastian, who slid away himself, taking Florence by surprise. Last night he was happy to hold her hand and had made some pretty risky moves kissing her all throughout the castle.

"Sorry, it's not that I don't want to... just... not here." He whispered to Florence.

She was taken aback and shifted back to her original spot, continuing to eat her breakfast annoyed and in silence.

They had Defence Against the Dark Arts together this morning, he walked her to the class but refused to be any closer than 5 inches to her. She decided to confront him after class and see if she was being misled.

As class wrapped up, she grabbed Sebastian's forearm before he could head off to his next class, pulling him to the side of the classroom door.

"Am I getting the wrong impression from you?" Florence asked, her eyebrows furrowing with frustration.

"I'm sorry, Florence. I have loved your company lately but... I'm just not a public person. I would prefer we keep what happens between us completely private." He said, apologetically.

Florence was not really satisfied with his answer, her self-esteem taking a blow as she began to think of herself as embarrassing or unworthy. "I understand." She said, not being entirely truthful with him.

--

The next few months before Christmas were quiet for them both. They continued their short but private rendezvous' around the castle to make out with each other, a standard Sebastian seemed to be content with as he never tried anything more and was apparently happy for no one to ever know about it.

"Hey, can I ask you something?" Sebastian said, pulling away from their kiss suddenly. The dull, flickering lamps in the restricted section made it hard for Florence's eyes to adjust when she opened them to look at Sebastian. She nodded her head, not impressed by his lack-lustre timing.

"Are you going to the Slytherin party tomorrow night?" He asked. Florence never grasped how Sebastian's mind worked. It was as if he didn't speak his mind there and then, he'd never be able to say it.

"Uh, I suppose so." Florence replied. She had forgotten that they were being invited to parties now they were sixth years and fast approaching the age of 18. Slytherin was throwing one to celebrate the approaching Christmas break.

"Good. I'm looking forward to it." He said, leaning back in to resume kissing Florence.

Florence's mind was wandering, thinking of her classes and how much homework she had to do. Kissing him was just her on auto-pilot, it wasn't exciting anymore. She was getting frustrated by Sebastian, who was content just taking her places to kiss her. She and her feelings didn't sign up for settling for making out in private with someone who had no intentions of being her boyfriend when she decided to confess how she felt to him. But she didn't want to risk hurting Sebastian especially when he seemed to happy and content with his life and not trying anything reckless or sabotaging as she knew he was so good at doing. So she just kept doing it.