chapter ten

The loud scream from Ni-ki didn't go unnoticed, prompting me to open the door again when Jimin called out to see what was going on.

I give him a deadpan expression. "You totally did that on purpose," I accuse.

Ni-ki's face falls, and he lifts his foot from the door, offering me an apologetic smile. "You didn't even get worried," he admits, making me snort with laughter.

That earns a genuine smile from him. "I was hoping you'd at least ask if I'm okay. A guy can dream of a little sympathy, right?"

And just like that, any chance of a good moment between us evaporates. He just had to remind me how much of a brat I can be.

"Goodbye," I say tersely, trying to shut the door.

"Aw, come on, Jade. Don't be like that," he pleads, holding the door open with one hand.

I yank as hard as I can, but he's now using his entire body to block the door from closing. He makes it look effortless.

"Fine, what do you want, Nishimura?" I snap, conceding defeat and letting him in fully.

He grins. "What about my offer?"

I immediately recognize it from his message about giving me a ride to school.

"I already said no," I tell him firmly, shaking my head.

"Huh? But Sunoo hyung said you'd say yes," he hums, making me grimace at the mention of Sunoo.

"Well, he's not here, so take off," I retort.

"You obviously want to ride with me in my awesome car," he teases, tilting his head as a chunk of hair falls over his face.

"Hey Princess, who's this?" Jimin interrupts, pulling me to his side with Jungkook peeking curiously behind him.

Oh great, here comes Park Jiyoo's personal guard.

"I'm Nishimura Riki, your neighbor," Ni-ki introduces himself with a charming smile, extending his hand.

Is this guy trying to butter up Jimin?

Always the polite one, Jimin shakes his hand. "Park Jimin. Nice to meet you, Riki," he says warmly, almost too friendly.

"I was just talking to Jade about how I noticed the twins left early. We go to the same school, and I thought it'd be no trouble to give her a lift. If you're okay with that, of course," Ni-ki offers, his smile disarmingly charming.

I bite back a snide remark. He's so smooth, and Jimin loves when people our age are polite, which, in his opinion, I am not.

"So you're the guy she was complaining about?" Jimin asks, and I stare in horror as Ni-ki grins at him.

"I guess you could say that, but maybe she's just misunderstood my intentions," Ni-ki explains, hands casually in his pockets.

"I don't see that. Care to explain?" Jimin prompts.

"I might come off as rude to her, but all I want is to be friends. Actually, I was planning to pick her up for school and invite you all for dinner at our place as an apology and a welcome gesture from my family as the new neighbors," Ni-ki says, sounding a bit shy.

How is he so convincing?

Jimin looks like he's about to radiate sunshine. "Thank you. We'd love to come for dinner."

Ni-ki's smile widens as Jimin heads back to the kitchen with Jungkook on his tail. He clearly has no idea that the boy next door who appears to be so sweet at him, is now winking at my scowl.