chapter nine

Sometimes having an impatient brother isn't beneficial, especially in the mornings like this one. Sunghoon is pounding on the bathroom door, acting as if he isn't the one who usually takes most of the time to get ready.

"Why are you not done yet, brat? We have to leave in ten minutes!" he yells, still banging on the door.

I jump in shock, accidentally ruining my eyeliner in the process. Frustrated, I throw open the bathroom door, revealing my disheveled appearance to Sunghoon.

"You look like an angry witch," Sunghoon remarks casually, tossing a basketball from one hand to the other.

"Get out of my sight," I snap, irritated beyond belief, and Sunghoon finally obliges, walking away with a smirk.

I slam the door shut, inspecting my reflection. My hair is hastily thrown into a ponytail, and I'm wearing a mishmash of clothes borrowed from my brothers' closets. Thanks to Sunghoon, my attempt at eyeliner has turned into a disaster.

After wiping away the smudged eyeliner and deciding to forgo makeup altogether, I change into a chunky sweater Jimin bought me, paired with boyfriend jeans and red checkered Vans. It's a comfortable yet presentable outfit, suitable for the day ahead.

With my hair now in a high ponytail, I head downstairs, where Jay greets me with a kiss on the temple.

"You look beautiful, Princess," Jay says warmly.

"Thanks," I reply, stealing a piece of ham from his plate.

"Your food is in the microwave," he pouts, attempting to snatch it back, but I quickly take a bite.

"Your food is my food," I tease, poking his chest playfully as I help myself to more ham.

"You're so much like Hoon," Jay chuckles, and I laugh in agreement.

As I finish my sandwich, I check my phone to find several messages. Three from Sunoo and two from an unknown number catch my attention.

Sunoo: Sorry, don't be mad at me please.

Sunoo: I know it's too early, but I did something you might not like.

Sunoo: You'll thank me in the long run! 😇

Perplexed by Sunoo's cryptic messages, I open the unknown number's texts next.

Unknown: Morning, Princess Jade.

No one in my family calls me that, and they all have my number. There's only one person stubborn enough to use such silly nicknames.

Jade: I hate you.

I tap my fingers on the table as I wait for Sunoo's response. He's cute and probably my type, but he can also be the most infuriating person on earth.

Sunoo: You don't mean that. But trust me, this is going to be good!

Jade: Tell that to my brothers and you'll see.

Sunoo: I know Ni-ki! Behind that tough guy act, he's a real softie. I think you're going to like him.

Jade: And how can you say that?

Sunoo: He's actually my best friend... 🥰

Jade: Explains why he was at the mall. Did you plan this together?

Sunoo: He asked me to. Why not give him a chance, Jade?

Jade: Since it's you asking, he better make it count!

Sunoo: Yay!

I roll my eyes at Sunoo's enthusiasm and glance at Ni-ki's messages. As expected, he's already bombarded me with texts.