Clean (Jack O'Callahan- #17)

"the drought was the very worst"

Gwen sat down on the steps of her apartment building. Her eyes were glassy from crying, and she couldn't bother to look up at the stars shining above her.

All she knew was that the walls felt like they were closing in on her, and she needed out. Bad.

"when the flowers that we'd grown together died of thirst"

She lost him. For good this time.

"it was months and months of back and forth"

Gwen had been head over heels for the one and only Jack O'Callahan since she was a senior in high school, although they didn't start dating until their sophomore year of college.

The two years following had been full of tears, and laughter. They had been off again, on again, and while Gwen knew that it wasn't the best- she knew that she still had him. She knew that she would always have him.

Never had she been so wrong.

"you're still all over me like a wine stained dress i can't wear anymore"

The familiar mint smell still filled her lungs and intoxicated her. It brought her back to the many memories she had with him.

Sneaking out of the city on joy rides down the coast. Following him to all of his close regional games. Laying on the roof of one of their apartments, curled into one another, watching the sky fade from darkness into the faint early colors of the morning.

Two years.

Will she ever be able to recover from this?

"hung my head as i lost the war"

Across town, Jack sat at the table, an untouched bottle of Guinness in front of him. He couldn't bring himself to eat or drink anything- even the thought of eating made him sick.

He knew that it was for the best- but his heart still ached one word- Gwen.

"and the sky turned black like a perfect storm"

She had been everything to him for years. And now she was gone.

He was the one who broke things off- with his hockey career taking him to Chicago and who knows where else, he just didn't see how they could still be together. She had major plans- she just got accepted to medical school for the summer term. In Texas.

Jack couldn't ask her to choose between him and her dream. So, he decided to make the decision for her.

"rain came pouring down"

Gwen knew why he did it. She knew that it was because he loved her- but it still hurt. He was apart of her. He was everything to her. And now he was gone.

As she stared out into the empty street, a slight drizzle started and began to cover the young woman. She sat there, making no move to find cover. She was too preoccupied with the thoughts storming inside of her brain to care.

"when i was drowning, that's when i could finally breathe"

The rain brought Jack back to one of his favorite memories with Gwen.

The two had caught a game at Fenway in the heat of the summer between their junior and senior years. Neither had expected it to rain, so when the clouds opened up as they were walking the two miles back to Jack's apartment, the two had to rush to find cover.

They found it under the awning of a bank, the rain hitting heavy above and around them. Gwen's hair had been plastered to her face, and she had a bright smile on her lips. Her eyes glowed as her hands found the front of his jacket. She had steadied herself and gazed up at him, a certain gleam in her eyes. Jack had wasted no time in crashing his lips onto hers. Her arms had wrapped around his neck, while both of his were fixed on either side of her face, pulling her closer. Eventually, his hands fell to rest just above her waist as they kissed with thunder crashing around them. They didn't care- they were too tangled in each other to care about the rain or the pedestrians that walked past, safe from the rain under their umbrellas.