Snowed In (Jack O'Callahan- #17)

Kate Jones sat at a desk, cramming for her business law final in the library at Boston University in December 1976. Outside, a snowstorm raged, although this wasn't uncommon in the city with it being located up north.

A few desks down, Jack O'Callahan was furiously typing at one of the public computers. He had a massive paper to get done before they left to go to Minnesota for their rivalry game in two days, and there wasn't any way that he was going to miss it.

It was just the two of them in the library- and one very grumpy librarian.

Looking at the time, Kate decided that it was time to call it a night. She quickly packed up her bag and started to head toward the door.

"Where do you think you're going?" The grumpy librarian said as Kate passed by her desk. Kate looked at her in question. "What do you mean?" The librarian pointed outside. "Roads are closed- public transportation isn't even running, and it's too cold to walk home." Kate groaned in frustration. "Looks like it's just the three of us."

Jack had glanced up when he heard the commotion- he had been so engrossed in his paper that he hadn't even noticed the other student walk in. Now, he couldn't help but notice the girl in blue high top converse staring outside in distress.

At the librarian's words, Jack's shoulders slumped. He was exhausted from the day, and couldn't wait to get home and rest. But, that just wasn't going to happen for a while.

The blonde with curtain bangs glanced over at him, a scrunchie holding back the rest of her hair. She was wearing a blue turtleneck and acid washed jeans. Her satchel was slung over her shoulder. She couldn't have been older than 21.

Kate looked over at the boy sitting at the computer. He was attractive, she wouldn't lie. His long blonde hair fell behind his ears. When he stood up, she noticed that he was wearing a hockey tee along with a pair of jeans and a pair of adidas shells. She had to commemorate him for his shoes- she owned too many of the adidas shells.

The attractive stranger made his way over to the couch she had sat down on.

"This seat taken?" He jokingly asked. His accent was thick- must be a native. She cracked a smiled at him before nodding at him. He grinned before sitting down.

"I'm Jack O'Callahan." He said after a moment.

"Kate Jones, nice to meet you." She nodded at him again. He grinned at her. "Looks like we're stuck here for a while." She sighed. She didn't want to be reminded of the wonderful food her roommates were cooking tonight that she was missing. "I guess so. You would think during finals week that more students would be here."

Jack laughed. "It is like the day before the last day of exams. I'm surprised you still have exams." She looked at him. "And what are you doing here then?" He nodded at his macroeconomics textbook that he had sat on the desk. "I have a final paper due in a few days. With finals grades not being due until for a few more days, my Professor made our paper due by Sunday night. But, I'm on the hockey team and we're supposed to go to Minnesota in a few days." Her eyebrows shot up. She hadn't gone to many hockey games even though she knew they were very good.

"Well that makes sense why you're finishing up then. Are you from around here?" Kate asked. She found that the conversation was flowing easily between the two- a fact that pleasantly surprised her. "Yeah, born and raised in Charlestown. What about you?"

Kate shook her head. "No, I'm from Ithaca, New York originally. Born and raised."

"New York isn't a bad state. It's not Mass by any means, but it could be Minnesota." She chuckled a little. "What's so bad about Minnesota?" He jaw dropped, then his expression turned stormy.