Scene 6 - Distress Beacon

The first destination we view is the Doctor's favourite planet Earth. Exiled to Earth by the Time Lords, the Third Doctor and Liz Shaw have returned the TARDIS console back into the TARDIS after running exhaustive tests for the repairs of the time machine. We see the establishment of UNIT HQ, before we cut inside to see the Doctor's laboratory where the TARDIS doors remain open. The Doctor and Liz are inside finishing work on reinstating the TARDIS console.

Liz Shaw:

Fixed?

Third Doctor:

Well, she seems to be running smoothly for the time being.

Liz Shaw:

The TARDIS can now run in short distances of space and time. Isn't that something we should be proud of? Even after all the work we've done.

Third Doctor:

I suppose so, Liz. You're quite right.

Liz Shaw:

We should take a break. And then come back to it after twenty minutes, Doctor?

Third Doctor:

Yes. The Brigadier would like to introduce you to Captain Mike Yates, Liz.

The pair begin to leave and go to the Doctor's lab.

Captain Yates is to be a new member of our personal staff. I saw him in earlier today. That means we should...

In the Doctor's laboratory, the Doctor and Liz hear the sound of a distress signal coming from within the TARDIS.

Distress beacon.

Liz Shaw:

What?

The Doctor and Liz rush back inside. The distress call was coming from the console.

Third Doctor:

The Time Lords. Something has happened to the Time Lords. Sorry, Liz. I'm afraid break will have to wait. This is a critical emergency.

The doors close unexpectedly.

Stand by for materialisation.

The TARDIS begins to take off.

Liz Shaw:

I thought the TARDIS was almost completely immobile.

Third Doctor:

Yes. So did I.

The Brigadier arrives at the Doctor's lab.

Brigadier:

Sorry to disturb you, Doctor. But I would like Miss Shaw to meet...

He sees the TARDIS going. A naïve Captain Mike Yates follows behind him.

Captain Yates:

Have they left the back door open, sir?

Brigadier:

I imagine they will be around the corner within the next few seconds, Captain.

Captain Yates:

I see. I've heard that the Doctor and Liz very much like to work to their own way as scientists. Very much like...

Captain Yates stops.

Brigadier:

Go on, Captain. Captain?

The Brigadier turns around, and Mike had gone.

Yates? Captain Yates?

The Brigadier then slowly begins to fade away like a phantom.