Scene 17 - Interception

We see the central column of the First Doctor's TARDIS rising up and down as the Doctor and Susan operate the control console. The scanner depicts the image of space with planets spread across a solar system. The TARDIS was beginning to land.

First Doctor:

Yes. Now we shall soon see where we are.

Susan:

How do we know where to look for, grandfather?

First Doctor:

Because my child, the ship will know our destination to where the time fissure will take us to. It's not a planet I recognise.

Susan:

Landing now.

First Doctor:

Yes. Yes. You best check the pressure and atmosphere of our planet.

We see the TARDIS arrive in a familiar-looking jungle setting with dried-up trees and withered plants. Susan checks the instruments and radiation levels are high on the Giger counter.

Susan:

Radiation levels high, grandfather.

First Doctor:

Yes. Well that will mean that we need anti-radiation drugs from the ship. I doubt that we have many left, but it will be something we need to invest in.

We see the view outside the TARDIS, a dreary and chilling jungle setting. Eventually, the Doctor and Susan leave the TARDIS and inspect their surroundings.

Susan:

Hey. This is strange.

First Doctor:

Intriguing. Most intriguing. By my analysis, this forestry has become petrified. Petrified by what, I wonder? Hmph. Let's take a further look.

The First Doctor and Susan continue further along the jungle and arrive to witness a mighty city in the distance. The same city they explored on Skaro! The Doctor and Susan had been taken to the planet of the Daleks and hadn't even realised it because they were yet to meet the Daleks. They watch the magnificent city in their view.

Susan:

Look, grandfather. Look! It's a city! A city down there.

First Doctor:

Yes. Yes, child. A wonderful sight, isn't it. A species with fantastic architecture and craftsmanship. Intuition tells me that we need to make our way to find the passage that will take us home.

Susan:

Same, grandfather. I get that feeling that we need to head down there as well. We will have to walk for it then. The TARDIS wouldn't be any good.

First Doctor:

No. Not at all. Not at such short range. We'd end up hundreds of years out and a hundred planets out too. Come along, child.

They begin making their way down.

Perhaps on the way back, we may be able to study that city. Providing there are no settlers who we happened to be disturbing.

Inside the city, the reawakened Daleks have taken back their power of the city and have the ability to move outside the city. Although they are the original silver Daleks, each Dalek is fitted with a silver dish on their backs to provide their power of static electricity. Two Daleks monitor the screen, which shows the Doctor and Susan passing along the perimeters of the city. A third Dalek comes to approach the other two.

Dalek 1:

REPORT!

Dalek 2:

SCANNERS ON RADIOSCOPE AND SEISMICSCOPE INDICIATE MOVEMENT OUTSIDE CITY WALLS! THE ELDER PRISONER AND YOUNG FEMALE PRISONER HAVE BEEN POSITIVELY IDENTIFIED AS HOSTILE INTRUDERS!

Dalek 3:

HE SPOKE OF A SPACECRAFT STATIONED OUTSIDE CITY LIMITS!

Dalek 2:

THESE TWO ARE MORE THAN THALS! THEY ARE LIFE FORMS BEYOND THE PLANET SKARO!

Dalek 1:

THEY MUST BE RECAPTURED! OR EXTERMINATED! NOW THAT WE CAN MOVE OUTSIDE THE CITY, WE CAN GAIN ACCESS TO THEIR CRAFT!

Dalek 2:

SHALL WE DESTROY THEM NOW!

Dalek 1:

NO! DISPATCH SQUADRON TO INVESTIGATE AND PURSUE THEM! ONCE THEY HAVE BEEN RECAPTURED, WE CAN FIND THEIR TRANSPORTATION, AND MAKE OUR FIRST LANDINGS BEYOND SKARO!

The First Doctor and Susan continue their way through the gravelly forest, carefully placing where they step.

First Doctor:

Gut feeling? I'm certain I know where we are going, child. As a scientist, always believe your intuition and realistic principles. Not your simple gut feeling.

Susan stops for a moment.

Susan:

Funny. This place gives me the sense of dread. Of death. Like some terrible catastrophe has happened here and that we are walking around it like the survivors after a war.

Two Daleks have left the city and are on their way through the forestry. This is reported to central control.

Dalek 3:

PATROL SQUADRON HAS BEEN DISPATCHED!

Dalek 1:

EXCELLENT! CONTINUE TO TRACK THEIR POSITIONS AND RELAY THEM TO SQUADRON!

Dalek 3:

I OBEY!

The Doctor and Susan carry on their journey.

First Doctor:

This is the moment we have been waiting for. The opportunity to get us back home. Albeit I admit not in the circumstances we'd like. But then, just as well we are here.

Susan:

I wonder what they'd do to with the ship. They might get the TARDIS properly seen to. You don't suppose that city is completely uninhabited, do you?

First Doctor:

Come along, Susan! Time is against us.

We then see the Daleks continuing to pursue after the Doctor and Susan...