02. Mystery Girl

||Edward's P

||Edward's P.O.V||

After she drove away, I chose to stay behind. I had another class in a couple of hours anyway, so I walked over to the park that wasn't too far from campus and leaned against one of the trees overlooking a pond. Ducks were swimming around in circles; I watched them with bored eyes.

Some time had passed, though I'm not sure how much, when her alluring scent filled my nostrils, nearly knocking me over. I gripped the tree with my fingertips and instantly cut off my breathing. Nevertheless, my throat was on fire with the memory of her scent; I could almost taste it.

The girl started walking past me, clearly headed towards the picnic area. I couldn't help but allow my eyes to rake over her body. I tried to stop myself from noticing every curve of her hourglass figure to no avail. She was petite at around 5'2. I had no idea how she was blessed with such curves in such a small frame.

Suddenly, she spun around to face me. I watched as a small grin flitted across her face, lighting up her features. Her eyes seemed to dance when she smiled. I watched, stunned, as she casually approached me. If my heart could beat, it would be beating like a drum. After a few more steps, she was only a few feet in front of me. If I breathed now, it would be over for us both.

"Hello," her voice chimed in my ears.

Her voice was like a song, a gentle caress. I've never heard such a soothing voice.

"I'm Lorelei," she continued.

Lorelei. I silently spoke her name, enjoying the way it rolled off my tongue.

What a lovely, fitting name. I'm not sure how much time had passed before she raised her eyebrows inquisitively.

"And you are?" She asked as she tilted her head to the side, her golden locks cascading down her shoulder.

I shook my head, unsure of what she was asking.

"What?" I asked while still holding my breath.

She smiled gently. She seemed to radiate confidence. I heard her chuckle quietly to herself before she spoke. "Your name. What's your name?"

My name. She wants to know my name. Of course she wants to know my name. She literally just introduced herself to me.

I mentally slapped myself, closing my eyes for a second in an attempt to regain my composure. When I opened my eyes, they locked with hers. I felt her emerald orbs gazing into my soul.

I smiled softly at her and noticed how her heartbeat quickened in her chest which caused my smile to falter. I was scaring the angel of a girl.

"I'm Edward Cullen," I spoke quietly.

"Edward." She breathed my name, beaming at me.

I relished in the sound of my name on her lips.

"That's an old-fashioned name," she paused as she looked me up and down, causing chills to run up and down my spine in an unfamiliar fashion.