47. I Know Everything

(Lorelei's P

(Lorelei's P.O.V)

A sigh escaped my lips as I trekked through the woods. After the 'date' with Damon, I had chosen to spend some time in the sea. It did little to clear my head, but I still felt somewhat rejuvenated. I had texted Stefan and let him know that I wouldn't be home until the morning; I knew he would worry himself to death otherwise.

When I walked through the front door, the sound of grunts filled my ears, followed by a deep, animalistic growl. I furrowed my brows in confusion as I walked into the kitchen, bracing myself for what I might find. A horrified gasp flew through my lips at the heartbreaking sight. My hand covered my mouth as I stifled a scream. My heart was going a mile a minute when my eyes locked with Stefan's.

He was sitting on the floor surrounded by discarded blood bags. The metallic scent of the blood tainted the air, causing my stomach to churn. Fresh blood dripped down his chin as he pulled a blood bag from his lips. The veins around his eyes were prominent; his pupils were haunting as he stared up at me with a look of hunger and helplessness.

The words he uttered next caused my heart to clench in my chest. "Help me," he whispered roughly, his voice sounding strained.

Tears filled my eyes. I was acting on pure instinct as I rushed over and sunk to my knees in front of him. A wave of nausea rocked through me due to the coppery smell of the blood, but I was able to push that aside as I took Stefan's hand in mine. I placed my palm on the side of his face, gazing into his eyes intensely.

"It's okay, Stefan," I breathed out, willing myself to believe it myself. "It's going to be okay."

His eyes fluttered shut as he leaned into my touch. Slowly, the veins around his eyes vanished. When he opened his eyes, a lump formed in my throat at the heartache that was portrayed in the depths of his irises. I watched as the first tear slid down his face. With every tear that fell, a piece of my heart broke. I cried along with him before wrapping my arms around him, resting his head against my chest as I rubbed soothing circles on his back. His salty tears mixed with the blood, smearing red splotches all over my dress, but I didn't care. Minutes passed as I held my best friend like I was the only thing holding him together. He inhaled a shaky breath before he hesitantly pulled away, gazing at me with eyes full of sorrow.

"I'm sorry," he whispered, glancing at the bloody mess covering the floor.

I shook my head and offered him a cautious smile. "It's okay," I assured him.

After studying him carefully for a moment, I stood up, offering him my hand as I did so. He looked at my palm outstretched briefly before placing his hand in mine and springing to his feet. His face was solemn, but his mossy green eyes were still swimming with unshed tears, pulling at my heartstrings. I grabbed a hand-towel and ran it under some water from the sink before turning to him. I pressed my lips into a thin line as I gently wiped his mouth and chin. His eyes darkened yet simultaneously softened as I did so. When I moved the towel from his chin, trailing down his neck, his hand wrapped around my wrist, pulling it from him. My eyes locked with his in confusion.