24. Like Fire

Let's rearrange I wish you were a stranger I could disengage Just say that we agree and then never change Soften a bit until we all just get along--Over My Head (Cable Car) by The Fray

Let's rearrange
I wish you were a stranger I could disengage
Just say that we agree and then never change
Soften a bit until we all just get along
--Over My Head (Cable Car) by The Fray

(Lorelei's P.O.V)

"Where are you going?!" Edward called after me as I started walking towards my car.

He quickly caught up with me. I could feel his eyes scrutinizing my face.

"To get a new phone," I spoke through clenched teeth, still upset with him.

"That can't wait until after class?" He questioned, frustration laced in his voice.

I abruptly stopped walking and stared up at him with a hooded expression. He stared back with unease.

"NO, Edward. It can't wait until after class. Do you want to know why?" Sarcasm was plain as day in my voice. Without giving him a chance to respond, I continued, "Of course you do. You're clearly willing to do whatever it takes to get answers so I'll let you in on a little secret."

I took a step closer to him so we were nearly touching, fighting to ignore the electrical current that was ignited between us. I grabbed his shirt collar and pulled down forcefully, so his face was level with mine. His eyes were as black as midnight; his jaw clenched but he didn't move.

His face was inches from mine. My head was spinning as my gaze subconsciously fell to his lips. I frowned as desire flooded through me. I stared into his onyx eyes with a burning intensity, demanding him to listen to what I had to say.

"Damon is very protective of me. You don't know what you just did by answering my phone like that. And given the fact that my phone is now a pile of ashes, he has no way of getting in touch with me to be sure you aren't of any danger. So no, Edward. It can't wait until after class."

His mouth fell open as a shadow fell across his face. I released my grip on his collar and started walking towards my car once again. He didn't hesitate to catch up with me.

"I don't understand." His voice sounded empty.

I said nothing as I stared straight ahead. Edward took it upon himself to continue speaking.

"He broke up with you. So why is he so 'protective'?"

I sighed and ran a hand through my hair out of exasperation. "I broke up with him, Edward. And there is more to it than that."