33. Tall, Dark, & Handsome

(Lorelei's P

(Lorelei's P.O.V)

Wednesday morning, I awoke before the sun even started to rise so I could go for a swim before Damon woke up. I certainly didn't want him following me to the beach or to class for that matter. I quietly slipped into the woods unnoticed and began the long trek to the beach.

After my swim, I went to my usual secluded location so I could practice my abilities. I was significantly stronger than I was a month ago. I was able to summon the wind with ease. The fire shot from my hands and grew exponentially, but I was able to reign it back in with just a thought.

I formed a ball of light in my hands and shot it into the sky; it hung in the air, shining as though it was the sun itself. With a wave of my hand, the light dissipated. I walked over to the shore and started manipulating the water. The water moved to and fro, under my command.

I smiled, proud of the progress I had made with my gifts. I felt confident in my abilities now. I knew I could defend myself and others if need be. I took off at a run, speeding through the woods towards home. I started to focus on the air surrounding me; I attempted to thin the air in front of me and funnel it behind me. The effect was astonishing. I was able to run as fast as the wind through the forest.

It reminded me of my ability to speed-swim through the water in my mermaid form. After a few minutes of running at my top speed, I saw the tree line surrounding the edge of my yard.

Before I even realized what was happening, I was barreling straight ahead and heading straight for Damon's bright orange tent. I tried to slow myself down but I was too late. A gasp flew through my lips as I collided with the tent. The nylon fabric wrapped around me as I hit something solid with a loud thud.

All of a sudden, I felt something shove me forcefully and I was flying through the air. My back collided with a tree, knocking the air completely out of me. I slid down the trunk of the tree and tried to catch my breath. Searing pain shot through my back and into my chest.

I groaned in pain.

"Oh my God! Are you okay?!" I could hear Damon's panicked voice rushing over to me.

Before I could open my mouth to speak, he had his arms wrapped around me, lifting me from the ground. He gently set me on my feet and looked me over with concerned eyes, looking for any signs of injury. I winced in pain as I shifted my weight.

"You- you pushed me," I managed to breathe out.

"Lorelei, I'm so sorry. You snuck up on me. You know I would never hurt you on purpose." I could hear the sincerity in his voice.

All of a sudden, his face twisted. His eyes darkened- appearing to glow. The veins around his eyes made an appearance.

"You're bleeding," he stated in a low voice.

Despite knowing the effect that my blood had on him, I wasn't afraid. My heart didn't speed up out of fear. Adrenaline didn't course through my veins. Because I knew he wouldn't hurt me.