35. Fool

(Lorelei's P

(Lorelei's P.O.V)

"Alright. Two cheeseburgers and one veggie burger." Damon handed me the food with a smile.

Zeke closed his textbook excitedly. Edward reluctantly set his book down and stared at the bag of food with a frown.

"Thanks, Damon." I gave him a genuine smile in return.

His smile transformed into a crooked smirk, of course. "Anytime. So which one of you is the weirdo that eats veggie burgers?"

Zeke grimaced. "Not me."

Damon chuckled darkly. "I didn't think so." He turned to Edward with raised brows. "I had a feeling it was you."

"Leave him alone, Damon. He's a vegetarian," I came to Edward's defense.

"Vegetarian. Awww. Like Stefan," he chortled.

Edward simply rolled his eyes. He wasn't in the mood for Damon's jesters. I'd say not after our last conversation.

"Yes. Just like Stefan," I said sarcastically with an eye roll as I handed Zeke his burger.

Damon smirked at me and winked causing my mouth to fall open. A lump formed in my throat. I reached across the table to hand Edward his food. As he accepted it, his fingertips lightly brushed against mine. His touch was cold- like ice, but it set my skin ablaze where he had gingerly made contact. I locked eyes with his midnight skies and swallowed hard against the lump in my throat.

"Thank you," Edward spoke lowly before turning to Damon. "And thank you."

Damon's face was solemn. "Don't mention it. I could hardly let Lorelei's friends starve. She'd never forgive me," he paused before adding in a loud whisper, "She holds grudges you know."

I rolled my eyes. "You're one to talk."

Zeke took a huge bite of his cheeseburger. "This is delicious. Thanks," he said in-between mouthfuls.

We all sat there and started chowing down on lunch. I noticed Edward absentmindedly picking at his food. Did he ever eat? Damon ate half of his burger and folded up the other half before tossing it in the trashcan.

"Did you not like it?" I asked Damon; it wasn't like him to waste food.

"It's not what I'm craving," he said with a frown, making eye contact with me.

I knew what that meant. I gave him a stern stare. "Well, that's too bad."

His frown turned into a full-blown scowl. His eyes drifted to a group of cheerleaders that were hovering nearby. He locked eyes with one of them and waved, giving her his signature smirk. Poor girl.

Edward looked up and made eye contact with me for a brief second before I leaned in to Damon and whispered quietly and firmly, "Don't even think about it."