Truth and Future

Listening for any sounds within the castle, you throw Yoongi a quizzical glance, but before he can answer your unspoken question, the doors of the living room fly open and crash against the stone walls, sending a brief blast of cool air through the room and making you and Yoongi look up.

"Where is he?"

Namjoon is seething with anger, pressing his words between teeth clenched so tight you can almost imagine them cracking. Hoseok is behind him, not seeming less enraged, even though his fury is cold and calculating.

"Gone", Yoongi says.

For a moment, the room is quiet, then Namjoon lifts a hand and rams his fist against the wall, leaving behind a circle of cracks looking like a spiderweb next to the little dusty dent the doors left behind in the stone.

"Damn it!"

His words make the shadows writhe in their corners and their whispers grow louder, but you can't tell if they're scared or excited as you watch them expand and extend their black fingers for Namjoon.

Hoseok quietly slips past the leader while he tries to compose himself. At first you think he is going to make his way over to the alcohol, but then he stops in front of you. His glance lingers on your and Yoongi's intertwined hands, then it meets yours.

"I am so sorry", he says roughly.

You try a smile, but it fails miserably. Namjoon and Hoseok's arrival brought back some memories that you wish you didn't have, and Hoseok seems to know and understand.

"It's okay", you finally manage, and even though your voice almost gives out and your stomach coils into an uncomfortable knot, you mean it. It is as Heishe said earlier – none of the Sins here can be blamed for what happened. All of you just happened to fall into Jimin's trap.

Hoseok seems slightly relieved as he turns to grab a glass of rum and sits next to Yoongi. He clearly still feels bad and the furrow of his brows proves his anger, but you are sure time will do the rest of the healing. In retrospect, what happened probably wasn't a pleasant experience for any of you.

You wonder where Jin, Taehyung and Jungkook are.

You're ripped from thoughts as Namjoon finally seems to regain his control. He approaches you and at first it seems as if he's considering sitting down in the seat directly next to you, but then his glance flickers towards your and Yoongi's hands which are still intertwined.

A shadow of something crosses his expression, then he turns and chooses a seat further to your left – but not without throwing you a last questioning glance.

Are we okay?, he seems to ask, and only when you manage the mere indication of a small nod, his shoulders relax a little.

He turns away and sinks into his seat, and as he does so, silence settles over the room – a silence not quite silent, accompanied by an almost inaudible, tense hum in the air, warning you of the difficult conversation that is lying ahead.

You have just somewhat settled into the strange silence when the doors open once more. You didn't hear anyone approaching, yet as you look up, you are met with fierce, dark eyes.

Jin carefully pulls his fingertips from the wings of the door he just opened and steps aside, revealing Jungkook and Taehyung standing behind him. The eldest is radiating an anger that is even deeper and more profound than Namjoon's rage, and it reminds you that despite the inconspicuousness of his powers, he still belongs to the strongest in the room.

Taehyung seems largely unbothered as he enters the room and sits down on one of the sofas, but Jungkook catches your eye. Envy's jaw muscles are tightened and he stares forward without acknowledging any of the other Sins. The longer you watch him, the clearer it becomes that he isn't even breathing. When he finally moves, choosing the seat that's the furthest away from you, his movements are controlled and stiff.