Demonic

The prickle in your hand doesn't vanish overnight. It's as if the young man's skin was poisonous, leaving behind an invisible mark that continuously reminds you of what you did. No matter how hard you try, you can't banish the memories from your mind – the crack of his spine, the weirdly wet scrunch of his yielding windpipe, the small squelch of his spinal cord, and how it all felt underneath the pressure of your fingers.

Again, Heishe shields you and Daimon for the night. The latter stays close by your side, his body curled around you, but while he tries not to fall asleep, he's still not able to stay awake for that long. As his breath deepens and his mind blacks out, Heishe's presence takes over, like a heavy blanket that comes to a rest over your mind and suppresses all bad thoughts as good as it can.

The dragon stays awake with you throughout the entire night. You don't talk – him being there is enough, and his mind never wavers. His quiet and calm slowly fill your entire body and help you come to terms with what transpired.

When the first morning light crawls over Heishe's back, dimmed by the grey clouds above you this time, you've almost gotten over the fact that you killed a human. You get up, careful not to wake a still sleeping Daimon, and jump onto Heishe's back to watch the plains light up around you.

This mind is amazing, you say as you let your glance wander over the misty morning scenery. It forgets so quickly. As if nothing matters.

Heishe glances at you from the side. I don't believe that is quite true, he replies, a tiny smile in his voice. Immortal beings do not forget, they are just good at distancing themselves. His scales rustle as a movement runs through his body.

Your feelings work differently now. You will be extremely emotionally charged in one moment, and purely rational the next. It's a switch no human mind can make, and one that is both a strength and a weakness.

You throw him a glance. Is that the same for all immortal beings? Really?

He blinks. Demons and angels, yes. As familiars, as a dragon... It is quite a bit more difficult. Since we are closer to humans than you, by default.

You hum and nod, then you turn away and look over to the young man's small house. What did you do with him?, you ask.

He follows your glance with his, a solemn expression settling on his reptilian face.

I burned him, he finally answers.

You simply nod; there's no need to say anything else, and then you jump off Heishe's back. The jump is high, fast and freeing, but you've learned enough for your feet not to crack the stairs as you land in front of the hut.

Heishe doesn't say anything and respectfully retreats into a corner of your mind as you push the door open and enter the small house.

It is messy, unorganized, a reflection of an erratic mind. The first thing you notice is the planks fixed across the three small windows, evidently in haste, and for a moment you feel bitter amusement at the thought that the young man thought he could have kept you out with a bit of old wood.

The second thing you notice is the abundance of books and tomes everywhere in the house – they fill the small, crooked wood shelf to your right, spill over the edges of the desk next to it and pile up on the ground around the house. Even in the kitchen, you see a couple books, shoved in between ingredients.

As you step forward and scan the most intriguing of the books, you realize most of them are either about history or about magic and mystic beings such as yourself, presumably. When you open the biggest one you can find, you're met with detailed descriptions of mystic creatures and in-depth instructions on how to avoid and kill them.