Defiance I

Jin looks up from the book he is reading, even though he felt the leader of the Seven approach long before he stepped into the room. They all have changed since they consumed the soul and the first humans have begun revoking the contract, but the change is most evident in Namjoon – power radiates his every step, and the aura of his strength fills every room he enters, as if it's too much for him to hide.

Jin can feel the change himself – with every annulment, the powers surging through his veins become easier to access and to use, almost scarily readily available. However, Namjoon's powers are simply the most evident and present among all of them.

"Do you have to ask?", Taehyung replies from the other sofa, not even opening his eyes. "He is where he has been the whole time."

Jin eyes Namjoon. There's no change in the latter's aura or expression, but the eldest knows something is in the air, and he has long decided he will step in if necessary.

"Be careful", he says before Namjoon can go, returning his attention to the book in his hands. "And be indulgent."

There's no reply, only the silent swish of Wrath vanishing into thin air.

-

The cave is dark, maybe darker than it ever was, but no amount of blackness stands a chance against demon eyes.

As soon as he steps out from the mists, Namjoon can make out the back of his elder. He hasn't moved an inch since the last time he saw him, his hands still clasped behind his back, his glance lifted to the stairs in front of him. The darkness is a little blacker around the edges of his figure, as if even something as basic as light and shadow responds to his feelings.

Namjoon has always wondered if he really is the strongest of the Seven.

None of the two say a word as Namjoon joins him, crossing his arms in front of his chest and looking up the stairs.

"You should grace us with your presence every now and again", he says after a long silence. "It's not good for you to be here all the time, Yoongi."

Pride's glance flickers in his direction, but he doesn't move a muscle. His eyes are a burning, deep red, proving that even he can feel the influence of Y/N's doing on the surface.

"I will decide what is good for me and what is not", he says tonelessly.

Namjoon sighs. "I know", he then murmurs to himself. He knows it's useless to try and convince Yoongi otherwise, and it's not like he doesn't understand the urge he feels.

Silence spreads between them again, until Yoongi breaks it. "It's only been a couple of days", he comments, his glance yet again fixed on the tiny hint of light at the end of the tunnel. "And she has already found quite a lot. I wonder how long it's going to take her."

More than curiosity, his words are laced with wistful longing, so thick it feels like it's coating Namjoon's skin.

The demon's throat tightens at the realization that there is little that will ever live up to Yoongi's feelings for Y/N – presumably not even his own.

At the same time, his stomach fills with bitter, churning rage, and the ground trembles under his feet as he tries to control it.

Yoongi glances at him a second time, slowly, as if it's difficult to rip himself from the sight of the stairs.

"You despise me, don't you?", he asks, his voice calm and deep. It's a question he already knows the answer to, and Namjoon knows that he knows.

Wrath exhales, trying to compact his raging feelings into a ball that is easier to control. "Despise is too strong a word", he replies when he finally feels like he's not going to choke on his words anymore. "And not quite right. I don't think I can encompass what I feel into just one word." He turns his head and returns Yoongi's glance.