10

People started to arrive right as they got everything set out at the little park it was being held at.

Some of Lukas' little friends showed up, and all of the team and Maddy was shocked to see the big motor home pull up, both Chase and Bubba getting out with gifts.

"Hey guys," Ryan smiled, carrying Luke over while Hailey and Maddy set everything up.

"Well you look much better little guy," Chase said as he held his hand up for a high 5.

Lukas giggled and gave both Chase and Bubba a big high 5 before he ran off to get Maddy.

"Getting pretty close to this one huh?" Bubba asked, looking at Ryan who was simply watching Maddy interact with Lukas.

"She's absolutely perfect. She's a great mom," he beamed, watching as Maddy threw Lukas over her shoulder.

"Yeah, she seems like it. She looks at her kid the same way you're looking at her right now," Chase noticed.

"No place I'd rather be than with her if I can be. She was a wreck when Luke had RSV but her parents said she really calmed down when she knew I was there," he chuckled, watching as Maddy faked falling with Lukas in her arms.

After everyone got there, Lukas was all over the place but either Maddy or Ryan had their eyes on him. As the kids all played, Ryan took him over to the swings and pushed him for a while, making the little boy laugh as loudly as he could.

"Things are really going well between you 2 huh?" Gabby asked as she came over to make sure Maddy didn't need help.

"If it tells you anything, Lukas calls him daddy," she chuckled, "He loves him,"

"I can see his little smile," she chuckled. "Think you'll get married again?"

"Are you asking me if I think I'll marry Ryan?"

"Yeah," she shrugged with a laugh.

"When you know, you know. My mom told me that after Derek and I split. She knew after a month with my dad," she smiled, getting the cake out of its box.

"I'll put the candles in," she chuckled, "Go get your boys,"

She nodded and headed over to the playground where Ryan was being a huge child and taking Lukas down the slides.

"Having fun?" She chuckled, watching as he and Luke went down the swirly slide.

"Yeah it was a good time," he chuckled, "How are you doing mama?"

"Just can't believe my little boy is 2," she beamed, taking Lukas off his hands before they walked back to the covered area.

Everyone sang happy birthday to the little boy before Maddy held him over his Bluey-shaped cake and let him blow out the candles.

Maddy, Lukas, and Ryan took a family picture together thanks to Hailey before Lukas stuck his whole hand in the marbled cake.

"There's your piece dude," Ryan chuckled, taking a little frosting off his hands and whispering to the child, "Should we get mommy?"

"Yeah!" Lukas giggled, clapping even though he had no clue what Ryan meant.

"Hey Mad," he chuckled, making her turn around enough from him to rub the blue frosting off his finger and onto her nose.

"Oh you're done," she said as she set her stuff down and chased her boyfriend until she was able to knock him down.

"You should've seen that coming," he laughed as they both laid on the grass.

"Why do you think I ran?" He laughed, pulling her up with him before he kissed her.

They went back and everyone ate some cake and then Lukas opened his presents. Ryan didn't tell Maddy that he'd gotten his own present for the little one of the power wheels Jeep so they could go on walks during the summer.

As he was going to get it out of Jay's truck, Derek and his side piece, Karlee, walked up and found Maddy.

"Honey go get Nana and Papa, okay?" Maddy said as she sent Lukas on his way, "What are you doing here Derek?"

"Public park Maddy,"

"You live in Springfield. There's only one reason that you would be here and that's my son,"

"Our son," he said as he stared into her skull.

"No. My son. You relinquished your parental rights. He is no longer your son," she gritted out, trying to keep her emotions in check.

"He's still my blood,"

"He's not calling you dad anymore. You make no effort to see him! Even when we were together!"

"Maddy, you okay over here?" Ryan asked, getting protective over his girlfriend as he knew the history between the 2.

"Oh wow. You got Lukas' favorite driver to come out," he said sarcastically, waving his hands as he faked being impressed.

"She didn't have to," Ryan shrugged, tightening his arm around her, "Heard that you're a pretty big fan too,"

"Was,"

"That's fine. You lose one, you gain one. Now get out of here," he said sternly, keeping a very protective front around Maddy.

Derek had said his piece and he was done after Ryan stepped in. She knew that wouldn't be the end of it either. He knew she came back to her parents in Chicago when they broke up.

"By the way, nice to see you neighbor," he called as he and Karlee walked toward his truck.

"Hey, don't think about it. Come on," Ryan whispered, kissing her head before taking her back to the party. She was definitely quieter and stayed off to the side.

That night, they both gave Lukas a quick bath and Ryan got him in bed and sound asleep before he went to bed.

"Night babe," he mumbled, kissing her head as Maddy cuddled up to him.

He fell right to sleep. Maddy didn't, she couldn't.