35

Maddy ended up sleeping through the evening while Ryan took care of what he could with the police and Jay. He called his parents a few times to check on Lukas before he tried to go to sleep himself.

It came after a while but it didn't last long as Maddy shot up with a scream and checked her surroundings before she even noticed Ryan wake up.

"Hey. You're at home, it's just you and me here,"

"It just feels so real every time," she sighed, looking at him as he just listened to her. "I hate this. How did he find me? The only ones that knew my address were you and my parents,"

"He owned your Tahoe didn't he?"

"Yeah," she nodded, grabbing her water bottle off the side table.

"Was he tracking it? He wrecked it when we were in Phoenix. Remember?" Ryan asked, "Maddy I know you just moved in here but if they don't find him, I want you to move in with me,"

"Okay," she nodded, "how bad does it look?"

"Doesn't matter. He put his hands on my girl. And he's lucky he's not in front of me right now,"

"I'm sorry. I didn't think he'd go this far," she sighed, "he always yelled. Never laid a hand on me until now,"

"I know. I sent everything to your mom and dad, they're not gonna let him slide," he promised, "let's go back to bed,"

She nodded and laid down again, cuddling as close to him as she could.

He kept his arm around her, holding her as close as he could to make her feel as safe as he possibly could. He waited until she was sound asleep again before letting himself give into the sleep as well.

——————

Maddy's phone started ringing at 9 the next morning with Hailey's face filling the screen. Maddy had woken up a few more times than after the first so he decided to let her sleep and picked it up himself.

"Hello?"

"Hey. She sleeping?" Hailey asked, noticing Ryan's voice instead of her daughter's.

"Yeah, she's out. Up and down all night," he said as he played with Maddy's hair.

"Okay. Well. Tell her we got him, on everything. Wrecking her car, the abuse, following her. It's over, he's done," she smiled a little, knowing Maddy would feel much safer with Derek put away.

"I'll tell her," he smiled a little as he kissed her head, "I'm sure she'll be happy,"

"Thanks, Ryan. Call if you need us,"

"Will do," he nodded before he said his goodbyes to Hailey and they both hung up.

He grabbed his phone and called his mom after hanging up with Hailey.

"Hi, dada!" Lukas giggled, answering the phone with Lisa's help obviously.

"Hey, little man. You having fun?"

"We watt cas! And I pay!" He yelled into the phone.

"You did? That sounds like so much fun," he chuckled, "I'll come to pick you up in a little bit okay bud?"

"Otay Daddy!" He giggled, moving his cars around the coffee table.

"Can I talk to Grandma?" He asked and soon heard Lukas yelling for his mom.

"Hello?"

"Hey, how'd he do?" He asked, looking at Maddy as she moved slightly.

"He was fine. Fell asleep around 8 and slept all night. How's Maddy?"

"We've been up and down all night. This is the longest she's slept since 4. Nightmares keep waking her up," he sighed, rubbing her arm as she rolled over a little.

"Just keep supporting her," she nodded, "She'll get better as time goes on. Did they catch him?"

"Yeah, her mom actually called a little bit ago. He's done,"

"Good," she nodded, "We can bring Luke back later,"

"I can come get him,"

"No, you need to stay with Maddy. We will bring him back,"

"Alright. I'll stay here," he agreed, not willing to argue on the topic. He was too tired, "Can you keep him until noonish?"

"Yeah. Try and get some sleep,"

"Will do. Thanks, mom,

They both hung up soon after that, Ryan fell asleep again, and both of them slept until 11.

When they woke up, Maddy put some ice on her eye while Ryan ordered them some breakfast or brunch at that point.

"Okay that is ordered," he told her, sitting beside her on the bed. "Your mom called,"

"Yeah?" She asked, looking at him hopefully.

"They got him. You're safe,"

Maddy looked at him for a second before breaking down against him.

"I know," he nodded, just holding her for a minute. "It's all okay now,"

"I know," she nodded, cuddling up to him as they waited for their brunch to arrive.

They ate before Ryan's parents were back with Luke and coming into the garage.

"Mommy!" Lukas squealed as he came into the house and crashed into her legs.

"Hi, bubs." She smiled, kneeling down to hug him tightly, "I love you so much, buddy. Never forget that,"