11

Maddy sighed and sat up slowly as she tried not to wake Ryan up. She got on her phone and tried to scroll through every social media app she had, tried reading a book, and even watched some YouTube videos on her phone.

"Maddy, why are you awake still? You have a shift tomorrow." Ryan said as he sat up behind her.

"I can't sleep," she mumbled, "if he actually lives here, I'm done,"

"You're not done, you'll figure it out," he told her, "come on. Lay down,"

"He's gonna make our life hell," she said as she broke down.

"Babe," he sighed, pulling her as close as he could to him. "I'm not gonna let that happen,"

"You're gonna be racing," she choked out, trying to hold back the sobs and the panic.

"Breathe Maddy, take a deep breath. I got you. I'm not gonna let go. Just breathe," he told her as one arm held her and the other rubbed her back.

"He's gonna be everywhere!" She said through a few broken sobs.

"Maddy you're panicking, take a deep breath," he tried again, letting her cry but also trying to get her to relax.

It took a little encouragement and some time but she eventually calmed down and laid against Ryan.

"Go to sleep. Nothing is gonna happen," he whispered, hugging her close to him as she calmed down. She passed out soon after and slept the rest of the night but it wasn't fun waking up at 6 am when she only fell asleep at 2.

"Why don't you just call in?" Ryan asked, watching as she shuffled around the room.

"No one to cover me," she sighed, changing into a pair of her scrubs and throwing her hair in a ponytail. She didn't bother with makeup, only putting on a little bit of mascara to make her eyes look open.

"Okay but you barely slept so i'm driving you to work," he said as he got up and quickly threw on a T-shirt.

"Ryan I can drive myself," She told him but he wasn't taking any if ands or buts.

"I'm driving you, and that's it. Plus I need your car. I told Luke I would take him to the park,"

"Then I'll take your rental," she shrugged.

"Maddy, I'm driving you. Not risking my girlfriend getting in an accident because she barely slept," he told her, kissing her head as he grabbed both sets of keys. "Go give Luke a kiss,"

She sighed and nodded as she went down the hallway and kissed her son's head before they both went to her car and Ryan drove her to work.

"Promise me you'll eat something?"

"I promise," she nodded, "Send me pictures of my baby boy,"

"I will," he nodded, both of them leaning over the console to kiss each other before she jumped out and shut the door while Ryan rolled the window down. "Love you,"

"Love you too," she smiled a little as she walked into the hospital.

——————