25

They all headed home on Monday morning, landing back in NC around 11:30 AM. Lukas was so cranky and whining against Ryan for the last 10 minutes of the flight and almost refused to sit in his car seat.

"Daddy! Daddy!" Lukas sobbed as Ryan was putting him in his car seat.

"Buddy I'm right here," he sighed, trying to get him buckled into his car seat.

"Wan daddy!" He kicked.

"Alright buddy, I'll sit back here with him," Ryan said as knew he was just tired so he stayed calm and got in the back, handing Maddy the keys. "He's not gonna calm down, can you drive?"

"Yeah," she nodded, taking his keys and starting the car. She drove home and as soon as they were at Maddy's house, they took him inside and Ryan laid him in his bed upstairs.

He came back down 2 minutes later and sat on the couch where Maddy just laid her head on his lap. Travel days were exhausting. They put on a movie and Maddy didn't take long to fall asleep as well.

"Maddy?" He asked but got no answer, "Honey? Did you fall asleep?"

He looked down and chuckled at her a little before he grabbed a pillow and gently put it under her head. After that, he grabbed the blanket and put it over her before he grabbed his phone and got back on it.

Both Maddy and Luke slept until 2 ish before she woke up to him crying.

"I'll get him," she mumbled, standing up to go upstairs.

She came back down with Lukas and handed him over so she could go make him a quick snack and wake up herself a little.

"You sleep good buddy?" He asked, kissing his head as he laid against Ryan.

"Ca daddy?"

"You wanna watch Cars?" He asked, looking down at him.

"Ca!" He clapped.

"1, 2, or 3?" Ryan asked as he pulled up Disney Plus on Maddy's TV.

"Ca Daddy!"

"Okay, so one?" He chuckled, turning it on quickly.

Lukas sat on his lap with his blanket and his stuffed Lightning McQueen that Ryan had gotten for his new room.

Maddy came out with his container full of goldfish and handed it to him before she also sat down on the couch with her laptop.

"Where's the next race?"

"Homestead-Miami speedway," he answered, looking at his schedule. "We'll fly out Thursday evening and come home Monday morning,"

"So warm?" She chuckled, getting a nod from Ryan as she started to look up the forecast. "Remind me to pack up Wednesday night,"

"Do we have everything we need?"

"We could probably get more snacks for him. I can go now if you watch him," She chuckled, nodding at Lukas.

"I can watch him," he nodded, while Maddy grabbed her keys and wallet.

"Alright, I'll see you later," she grinned, kissing him before she kissed Luke's head and headed out.

"Just you and me dude," Ryan chuckled, watching the rest of the first cars movie with him.

——————

Maddy had gotten to the store and got in and out in record time. She put all of the groceries in the trunk and got back in, starting it and heading out of the parking lot.

She didn't make it very far though. She only made it a mile before she had to pull into another parking lot and call Ryan for a ride.

"It's only been a half hour. That's a new record," he answered, chuckling a little.

"So. Funny story," she smiled a little, "My car broke down on me,"

"It's a Chevy dear. That's why,"

"Okay mr I'm sponsored by Ford so Chevy sucks," she joked, "Can you come get me?"

"Yeah. Where you at?"

She told him what store she was at and soon was sitting in the car, waiting for him to show up.

As soon as he did, they transferred the groceries to his car, got her car towed to a mechanic, and headed back to her place.

"Mama,"

"Yeah, baby?" She asked, turning around to look in the little mirror.

"Sevy suck!" Lukas giggled, kicking the back of his seat.

"You taught him that huh?" She asked, looking over at Ryan who was beaming as he drove.

"Good job buddy," he chuckled, looking in the rearview.

"I hope the next kid is just like you," she chuckled, joking with him until they got back to her place.

"As long as they have your looks. You know, a fan told me that Luke looked a little bit like me,"

"I can see it," she smiled, carrying Luke into the house while Ryan got the small load of groceries. "What do you want for dinner?"

"I think I want to try making dinner for you,"

"Should I call the fire department now? Or wait until my house goes up in flames?"

"Give me some credit Mads. It's not a hard recipe,"

"Coming from the one that doesn't cook," she laughed, unpacking the groceries at her island and putting them away.

"I can try to learn," he chuckled, helping her separate things into cabinets at the house or the bag for the bus.

"Okay. Just warn me if the fire starts," she joked again.

"Yeah yeah," he smiled, starting on something that Maddy couldn't even pronounce.

She and Lukas colored at the table while Ryan attempted to make them a dinner that didn't quite turn out.

"Alright. Done," he smiled a little, handing her a plate and putting one in front of Lukas.

All 3 of them took a bite and as soon as it was swallowed, both adults looked right at each other and just nodded.

"Pizza?" Maddy asked.

"Yep. Pizza," he nodded, chuckling a little as he took all of their plates.

Maddy ordered them a pizza and they all 3 sat in the living room to eat, ending the night with pizza and a movie before they all went to bed.