41

ADRIANO ENZO CALVETI 

''He's not the father. As expected.'' Those were the words my ears ached to hear and I grasp the edge of the oak desk to get a grip on myself. 

''Did you dig in any further?'' Ares nods. 

''Apparently, I met up with your old guy. Said that he knows about what happened to Sofia but only after half an year when Maria left.'' Speaking of Maria brought back to my mind the email. 

I open up my laptop and show it Ares who agrees with my perception of who it might be. ''Where the fuck did you meet my father?'' As much as I hate to find out that my own father kept it hidden from me, I need to know why. That man never does anything without any reason. 

''He came over to the estate. Stayed over for the weekend and trying to sort out things with Alan regarding the wedding since Alan thinks you're going off-track from what they agreed to.'' Well, then I think our plan might work if I fake the wedding with Samantha and take out Alan alongside Alex who's apparently into hiding till now. 

''I'll be taking you and one other guy to the graveyard tomorrow night. This might be our only chance with better outcomes than the rest of the scenarios we've spent time speculating.'' The countless number of times I've failed to grab that bastard and shred him to pieces has my soul burning with hunger. 

''Did father reveal anything about what happened?'' Its likely he didn't because he is a man and a very closed-off one. If he could keep his mouth shut for six years, what's another secret. 

''Nope, apart from the fact that he knew that Sofia wasn't biologically his. And most importantly, he said he wants to meet you tomorrow morning, here.'' Adrenaline accompanied with rage fills my body because I could never imagine my blood to be of this level. Pouring secrets here and there but not to me. 

He knew the injustice that was taking place yet refuses to reveal the truth till now. Sofia is nothing but important to me and even if I have to see my father go down in this war, I won't stop. 

''Okay then. Let him know when you return to the estate that I'll be there first thing. And remember, no one gets any wind of this new lead we received on the email or the reports.'' Ares doesn't need explaining. He's programmed to understand the depths till a person can go and how this piece of information can lead to chaos. 

''Consider it done.'' 

''Are these the only result copies? I hope the digital ones have been encrypted and demolished from elsewhere.'' 

''Yup, they are. Now, I'm heading back but not before getting a good fuck. Goodnight.'' Motherfucker. I smirk because I know it's more than just a fuck. He's possessive of his new girl but is too afraid to commit to her. Ares heads off, pressing the only soft copy of Alan's paternity test into my chest. I don't want this coming into Sofia's hands. 

Pulling open the in-built safe, I place the papers in there and lock it. Once I reach the bedroom, I am content to find Sofia dozing away. She hates pity. But I can't help it when she sees a father in the eyes of a monster who is responsible for the nightmare she's been living through. 

Tonight, I hold her tight with my palm flat across the bare expanse of her stomach as I try to keep her cramps at calm. For the first time in my life, I feel fear. The type that feels like an invisible noose around my neck waiting to be pulled as more secrets are being dug up. 

When she finally turns around in her sleep and clings to my naked chest, I feel like I can protect her. And the only fear I have is if I can't. 

-^-