Chapter 22

"So all I have to do..." Kaiden trailed off looking at Richard where he still stood rigidly next to Aislinn a faint trace of amusement and joy clear on his face.

"You simply need to go to one knee before her..."

The snap of a cool voice cut him off "Richard."

"What? Do you want to do this the right way or not?" He asked innocently turning to look down at her.

"I don't want to do this at all." She replied flatly.

"It was your idea." He said smugly.

"Don't remind me. Fine. Let's just get this over with Custos. And don't think I don't see your part in this, you manipulative old coot!" She finished with a humph. Kaiden was stunned when she actually rolled her eyes at the completely fake and innocent hurt look Richard sent her way.

Ignoring her words and irritation, Richard turned his head to look back at him and Kaiden nearly laughed at the wink the Guardian threw his way. As if sensing it Aislinn let out another exaggerated sigh causing both men to break out into grins.

"Okay so where were we before I was so rudely interrupted? ... Oh yes! So you go down to one knee, your right hand fisted over your heart your neck bowed and exposed and then you pledge your featly and loyalty. There are no words you must specifically say. The pledge taken by the original alphas was lost to time but it was always said they each said their own anyway. The pledges were as unique and different as the packs themselves. It was said that after each pledge is when they were charged with the mantels by the King. Each oath tied them in a specific way to the crown."

Kaiden looked skeptically at the man. Was he serious? He was supposed to just make up some pledge of fealty on the spot? He felt his irritation spike when all he got in return was a shrug and another wink. Shifting his gaze off the man he met the cool grey eyes of his mate.

No, right now she was not his mate, she was his Queen. He took a deep breath letting the calming presence of her scent fill him. Rain and lavender, sweet and light and all her. He felt himself relaxing as he continued to breathe her in.

Without conscious thought he moved forward, gracefully lowering onto one knee. His fist coming to land over his heart as his head bent. Suddenly he felt the room change. He wanted to look up but his wolf would not allow it, he demanded that Kaiden remain utterly submissive as he felt power erupt around them. Somewhere he realized that he was feeling his mate's power surface again. The waves of dominance crashing over him. This time though there was nothing uncomfortable or confusing about it. His wolf was in absolute ecstasy at finally submitting to the source of this power, of taking his rightful place before his Queen.

Kaiden didn't think about the words they simply came to him and before he could question them he was speaking, "I Kaiden, Son of the moon, pledge to serve, to follow, to protect, the light of the dark, the crown of the night, the wolf of the moon. My life is freely given to the oaths of old, to fight for the blood and to serve until I shall draw the final breath. I give to you my fists, my body, my life, my heart, my soul. I am yours until the dawn again."

The feel of the power in the room hit a fevered pitch. Aislinn looked down on the bent head of her Alpha. She knew her eyes would be shining bright with molten silver, the power she usually kept so controlled and hidden was finally released filling the room, it rolled off of her. She felt as it radiated from her, although unlike before when she had been upset, this time it was gentle and comforting. Thick waves of power and protection flowing from her, embracing those around her, she felt each wolf, each soul. She reached into them, sought them out, soothed and calmed, it was as natural and instinctual as breathing. She was their Queen, they were her people.