Chapter 41

Everyone could feel the tension coming from the visitors. Vance had showed up with five wolves. A sign of respect and trust that both shocked and impressed Austin as he opened the door to them. Waving them inside he ushered them into the living room where Kaiden, Richard, Blair, Clay, Olivia, Ethan, Michael and of course Aislinn were waiting. Normally they wouldn't all have had to have been present but Kaiden and Richard wanted security around Aislinn and they were the only members of the pack who currently knew her identity. Even Aislinn's new royal guardians had been ordered outside. They were currently guarding the windows and exits.

Austin followed the newcomers in. As they paused in the entryway he stepped around them making his way to Kaiden and taking his place at his shoulder. Kaiden sat next to Aislinn on one of the sofas. Richard stood on guard behind her, while Olivia sat comfortably next to her. Blair and Clay sat on a pair of armchairs only half paying attention to the silent game that was on the TV. While Michael and Ethan stood anxiously off to the side as they sent nervous glances at their former pack mates.

"Welcome." Kaiden said sincerely as he rose to greet them. Making sure to hold Vance's gaze - he was proud of the show of power and display the other wolf was able to muster, before his eyes inevitably lowered.

"Thank you." Vance spoke his tone holding nothing but respect.

"And who did you bring with you?" Kaiden asked looking at the five wolves that had followed their new leader in.

As was the werewolf tradition, rank and power trumped age in any social setting. Every wolf that had come with Vance, was near the same age if not older then him; Vance himself was probably close to a decade older than Kaiden. But Kaiden's rank and dominance meant that he was the one they all deferred to as the ultimate authority at the gathering, the only exception was if he chose to publically defer to another, then giving them the right, until he reclaimed it. It was what Aislinn had technically done by allowing him to stand first and welcome the other pack. It also meant that it was up to him to guide,and lead the meeting, setting the pace, tone and agenda. To go against him would be seen as disrespectful, as well as a challenge to his authority, and dominance. This normally would lead to a fight to submission. Sometimes if the challenge was large enough, then to the death.

"My beta Tucker." Vance said, indicating the older, well-built wolf at his side, who was giving off an air of steadfast calmness that Kaiden instantly took note of. And he couldn't help but feel his admiration and respect for the new Alpha grow considerably, as he so confidently and subtly claimed his title, pack, and new position.

Pointing out the others Vance continued the introduction. "My third, George, and his mate Beth. My successor as head Warrior, Ryan. And last, my mate, Mindy." Vance said, his arm wrapping around the small she-wolf at his side.

Kaiden's eyes widened in recognition. "I believe we have met, however, the last time I saw her she was mated to your old Beta - I believe?" Kaiden asked pointedly, feeling his suspicion rise as he looked over the small woman who still held the same welcoming and gentle air that she had their previous encounter. As he looked her over now he took note of the red that stained her cheeks at his question. Her embarrassment at the mention clear. Kaiden also didn't miss how Vance's grip on her increased pulling her more firmly into his body under the close scrutiny.

Vance met his gaze before clearing his throat and replying in a calm voice. "You are correct Alpha, you met my mate while she was bonded to Beta Garrett."

Kaiden raised his eyebrow in question. It was not an especially tactful subject to be questioning another wolf about, however Kaiden had to know everything about the dynamics and histories of these wolves if he was going to align himself, and his mate, with them.