Chapter 27

They sat in silence for a few minutes her words still echoing around them. Slowly Aislinn began to feel the out of control emotions raging in her mate. She could feel as he fought them as he fought to try and control them. Control, always such a battle for something so tenuous yet so desperate.

Letting out a sigh she turned so she was looking at him. Eyeing him she debated her actions. He had always been there for her, ever since he had first scented her in that tree, he had never faltered, never pushed, never demanded anything of her. Could she do the same? Was this what it meant to be mates?

Feeling her eyes on him Kaiden turned so he was looking back at her. And then it happened he felt as her fingertips gently brushed against the back of his fist, where it lay clenched on the bed. He let out a shuddering breath, his eyes closing as sparks erupted across his skin. The feel of her soft cool fingers brushing over his heated skin was instantly calming. Her touch soothing him. Breathing in deeply he felt himself center, his emotions ease off.

Aislinn felt as the storm inside him quieted. Saw as the slight tremors that had been racing over his body slowly eased, his muscles relaxing back onto the bed once more. She continued to brush just her fingertips over his hand, the warmth of his skin and the sparks that touching him brought still amazing her. Not taking her eyes from him, she watched as his own opened back up and looked at her. Slowly the most beautiful and warmest smile took over his face.

Looking at him, Aislinn felt that weird feeling erupt in her stomach again. Still unsure and not used to it, she pushed it away, the sensation too odd and confusing. She did like that he was smiling again, though. It was much more pleasant then when he was upset. Did she make him happy?

Did that make her happy? That was a truly shocking thought. She didn't even know how to think about that. How to process such an idea. Happiness was something she did not understand. It was something she didn't even know. Something she never even considered or thought about.

What the hell was this man doing to her?

They sat like that for over an hour. Both of them just resting back against the pillows of her bed as the sun dipped lower and lower in the sky, spilling soft light across the room. Her fingers lightly resting on the palm of his hand. He never tried to touch more of her, never attempted to hold her hand or control how she touched him. Instead he simply relished in the feel of it. In the feel of her.

.

.

Eventually they made their way back downstairs. Kaiden didn't want to leave the small bubble of peace they had found but he knew that they needed to discuss what would happen tomorrow amongst other things. There was too much happening, most of it too much beyond their control for any of them to be able to ignore it even for an afternoon.

When the door had swung open Richard had been in front of her in the blink of an eye, his gaze intense and searching as he looked her over for any sign of injury. His posture was rigid, worry and concern plain as he looked over her face last. It didn't matter that he had to have already known she was okay he wouldn't believe it until he was able to see it for himself. Thankfully he stayed quiet on what had happened, Aislinn knew he felt her gratitude for this through the bond. After everything that had happened she wasn't in the mood for another lecture. Still he stayed close to her. His wolf out and very present, dominance and strength pouring from him as they moved down to the kitchen not yet at ease.

The guys and Liv had whipped up a meal of cold platters from the groceries Aislinn had had delivered that morning. Grabbing plates for themselves they joined the others at the large farmhouse style kitchen table. Kaiden took a seat at the head, where Austin was on his right Blair and then Clay seated next to him. At a nod from him Aislinn took the chair to his left with Richard taking the seat next to her, Olivia got up and moved so she sat beside Richard once he was settled.