Chapter 23

Aislinn trailed behind as they made their way up the open floating wooden staircase. The second floor was as simple, clean and elegant as the first. The doors spaced along the corridors, the end walls of the hallways all glass. Those sleeping on this floor all broke off each searching for a room to claim. While Kaiden, Richard and Aislinn headed up to the third floor.

Her bedroom was the exact opposite of his. The cool whites, woods and metals fit with the rest of the house. The plain walls and low sleek furniture let the stunning view from the bank of windows at the back take center stage. The high ceilings and crisp lines lent it a sense of tranquility and calmness, it was as peaceful as it was cold.

Against one wall was a large low bed which dominated the space, the bright crisp sheets covered in an equally clean white duvet. The only other furniture in the large room were two floating nightstands on either side of the bed, a light grey long sofa and two matching chairs facing a flat screen TV with a low dark wood coffee table in front.

Aislinn went through the door beside the TV that led into a dressing room which had two walk-in closets branching off of it, the one wall was like the rest of the house mostly floor to ceiling windows. For privacy the recessed automatic window coverings that were placed in the ceilings above all of the windows in the house were lowered shut here. The dressing room itself had a beautiful tall stand mirror, two sleek dressers, a wardrobe and a low cushioned bench. Through a door across from the one leading to the bedroom was the massive ensuite bathroom. A spa inspired mix of grey stone, white marble, chrome and fluffy white towels.

About to start a shower Aislinn remembered her mate, turning with a sigh she went back to the bedroom. She watched him for a minute. His silhouette outlined against the dark forest below them. His hands in his pockets as he stared out at the trees deep in thought.

Her voice was low but she knew he would be able to hear her perfectly in the silence, "There are clothes and toiletries stocked for you in one of the closets and the bathroom. If you want to stay somewhere else though you can." She didn't like how that made her sound so unsure, but his thoughts were so torn about it. Without even really trying she could sense him arguing with himself about leaving the room.

His head whipped around at her words surprise clear as he looked at her. His eyes traveled over her body taking her in as she stood in the doorway the light illuminating her from behind. Settling on her face he gave her a small smile, "No, I want to stay here with you but I don't want to make you uncomfortable." He said honestly.

Cocking her head to the side she eyed him carefully, "I would prefer you stay."

His heart leapt but he kept himself still, "Okay then, I'll take the sofa."

Nodding her head she turned back to have her shower.

.

.

It was getting easier for Kaiden to wake up with her, the more time they spent together the more in tune to her and her wolf he was. Sensing her stirring his eyes fluttered open, not even bothering to turn his head he knew what time it would be. He listened to the silent sound of skin sliding across cool sheets. Her bare feet whispered across the bare floor. His senses tracked her as she lifted her bag up before moving to settle beside the windows the soft rustle of paper letting him know she was pulling out her sketch book and pencils.

Slowly pulling the blanket off of himself he stood and moved over to where she sat on the floor. He grinned to himself when he noticed that despite the closet full of clothes she was wearing one of his shirts and a pair of his boxers. There was something so satisfying about knowing she wore his clothes, that his scent covered her.

Lowering himself down he leaned on the glass resting back he let his legs sprawl in front of him. She sat only about half a foot from him, her back against the wall her legs bent up so she could rest her sketch pad on them her eyes darting back and forth between the page and the forest beside her.

He didn't speak just watched her in the pale light of the moon, letting her scent and presence calm and sooth him.

He didn't notice when she stopped drawing, it was only the soft sound of the paper hitting the floor that alerted him. She moved so her legs were now crossed under her, her elbows on her knees as she studied him.

"Hey there little one." He said quietly, softly as he smiled down at her. Not upset at her silence he merely kept speaking. He was beginning to cherish these times when it was just the two of them, the silence and stillness of night providing them their own little bubble of safety where only they existed.

"You know little mate what you did today, and everyday so far, bringing me ... us. Here. Letting us know who you were ... I know that couldn't have been easy for you. So I just wanted to say thank you, for your trust in me. I swear I will never hurt you and I will never betray that trust. You are my life now and I will do everything in my power to make sure you are never hurt again. You little one never have to be alone again and when you're ready I will be here. I will always be here."

Knowing his time with her was up he pushed himself up so he was standing over her. When she looked up at him, the moonlight pouring across her face, her incredible hair cascading around her, his heart nearly broke because as he looked down into her stunning wide incredible eyes, they were alight with pure raw steady emotion, it was so rare, so unexpected, so breathtaking. She looked up at him, her gaze so clear so open, and she looked ... so vulnerable, so broken. He could see the disbelief, the terror, the pain. He could so clearly see the war she was waging to not believe him but it was the slightest spark of hope that he saw in the very depths that nearly undid him. So small that spark, even when it came to him, to her mate, the one person she should never have to doubt.

Looking down at her small frame, at her wide eyes he let his emotions go. He let the love and concern, the adoration and pride, the respect and awe that he felt for her flood freely and unrestrained over the mate bond. He didn't let himself blink, not letting himself miss a moment as he watched her eyes widen as his emotions crashed over her fully. The look of complete shock and confusion had him crouching down so he was closer to her level.

"Aislinn," He let her name roll off his tongue feeling the pleasure and satisfaction at her own reaction to its sound go through him, "You are not alone. I will NEVER leave you. Little one I am here and I'm not going anywhere unless you send me away, okay? You are stuck with me love, forever." He sent her a gentle smile while he held her steely gaze as he willed the words the absolute truth of them to reach her. Only the smallest nod of her head acknowledged him before he saw her walls and doors begin to resurface once again blocking her off from him. But he had gotten her to lower her guard, she had let him in, even if only for a few minutes. Standing he moved back to the sofa stretching out on it as he listened to her put her supplies away before sliding between the cool sheets once again.

"I won't send you away." Her voce was so soft, so unexpected, he almost missed the cool musical sound as sleep began to pull him away. He fell asleep with a grin on his face.