thirteen

in honor of tvovv s2...

hartley knocked on the madden's back door, elaine texting on her phone behind her.

"there you are. we're gonna be late." amy said as the two walked in.

elaine kept walking, not looking up from her phone and passing colby. "for what? we still have an hour before school starts." hartley said.

colby looked back and elaine, who was leaning against the cabinets still on her phone.

he got up from his seat, going over to her and wrapping an arm around her waist.

"hey lainey." he said kissing her cheek. "hey." she said back.

"wanna look at me maybe?" colby said quietly. "one sec" elaine said still on her phone.

after what felt like hours for colby, elaine finally looked up at him.

"sorry, i'm arguing with my parents, then telling my friends as i argue with them." elaine said.

"why couldn't you just tell me." colby said. "you have your own family problems. well not really, but you know in hiding villian problems."

"but, i can still listen to yours. you unwillingly hear ours all the time."

"eh, i think i'll pass." elaine said picking up her phone again.

colby was shocked, did elaine really not want to talk to him? especially about something serious like her parents?

"see you guys i want to get some frozen yogurt before school starts." elaine said leaving.

"yeah sure, i would love to come with." colby whispered once elaine left.

-

"oh, no. we're four minutes late. this is what i get for losing myself in a moment of joyous enthusiasm." hartley said, walking into school.

"hartley, i'm a pro at sneaking in. trust me, no one's gonna know we're late." amy said. "no one except me. you're not the only pro at sneaking in late. i do it all the time." colby said, turning visible.

"and it's a lot easier now that i can turn invisible, since, you know, chosen one." he continued.

"wait. you go to the school?" hartley asked.

"yeah. i'm a freshman. i just missed a couple months when i was stuck in my shape-shifting loop."

"but i haven't seen you here since then." hartley said. "yeah, 'cause now i'm in a school skipping loop. but that's on purpose."

"now i'm waiting for lainey to get out her free period so we can hang out. see you." he turned invisible again.

"busted!" a voice said from behind amy and hartley. "mr. tennyson?" hartley and amy turned.

"that's principal tennyson to you." he said walking. "wait. you're our new principal?" amy asked.

"i was just promoted from vice principal at east valley view. this is the culmination of a 20-year career in school administration, but, sure, act surprised."

"and i run a tight ship. that's right. there's a new sheriff in town." he said writing on a pink pad.

"that was a lot of metaphors." amy said. "and that's a lot of lip from two girls who just got detention." he said handing the girls a slip.

"what? no. i never get detention!" hartley said. "can't you let it slide?"

"let me be clear. i know you all think of me as your fun-loving and "down with the teens" neighbor." principal tennyson said, dabbing.

"oh, i wouldn't say that." amy said. "but within these walls, make no mistake about it, i am not your princi-pal."

"huh? see what i did there? if not, i'll break it down for you in detention." he said walking away.

"great. i'm officially a perp." hartley said. "big deal. you got your first detention. it's not like you actually have to go or anything." amy said rolling her eyes.

"of course, you have to go."

"really? oh, well, that explains why they've been giving me detention for not going to detention." amy smiled.

"hey, you two should be in class, unless you popped out to wish me luck on my interview, which i don't need, because scientifically luck isn't real, which you'd know if you were as smart as me." vic said, walking to the girls.

"can't wait to meet the new principal. he's gonna love me." he said again. "well, if it isn't, mr. madden!" principal tennyson said.

"please tell me that isn't-" vic said with a shocked look on his face. "oh, it is." amy said, and vic turning terrified."

-