1.

AUDREY

This Summer is going to be the best one I have ever had in the seventeen years I have been alive.

My eighteenth birthday was just around the corner and I had just graduated high school a few days ago.

My friends whom I have known since I was in middle school and have been the greatest to me were going off to different colleges and we had planned what we were going to do for these next few months - especially for my birthday party.

All of us have been saving up from our jobs for the past few years and planned to have the best time we could before parting our ways until we had time to meet up again during Winter break.

I was going to miss them terribly. Not just because I love them but for mainly the fact that being around them has been the only reason I have been more confident than I have been before I met them.

Today I was real excited in particular because I was heading over to one of their house.

While there we would plan things out, including purchasing tickets we needed along with hotel reservations.

"Dad, I am heading out to meet up with my friends. I'll be back later tonight." I tell him.

"Alright sweetie." He calls back from the living room while continuing to watch his favorite show.

He said something else after that but I honestly barely heard him and just safely replied 'Alright.' Before next telling him I love him then left.

After arriving at my friend, Jeffrey's house, we ordered some take out then watched a movie and hung out a bit.

Nobody seemed to bring up the trip during these past few hours so when we decided to play some poker, I took the opportunity to bring it up.

"So, should we play a round of Texas Hold'em and then go online to make hotel reservations and buy our plane tickets for our trip?" I ask.

The room instantly fell silent and all four of my friends looked at each other before giving me a look of sadness. Their reactions were not what they have been for these past few years.

"What?" I asked feeling confused.

My friend, Rhea then let out a sigh before saying something.

"We were afraid to bring it up and meant to say something earlier but, we all got caught up in having fun that we didn't say anything." She says.

"Say what?" I asked. Although in the back of my mind I was already thinking something was wrong. I could sense something was wrong earlier but I pushed it aside.

"We can't go on our trip." She says with regret in the tone of her voice.

My heart immediately sank to the bottom of my stomach. I could feel the same pain in my chest when my mother left my father and I when I was two years old.

Maybe I did not hear correctly. Maybe she said they were all excited as well.

"W-what did you just say?" I asked.

"We're so sorry." She says.

I was not sure how to feel at this moment other than both angry, upset and disappointed. I felt like I had just been punched in the stomach.

"But why? We've been planning this for years." I tell them as I try holding back the tears that are wanting to fall from my eyes.

"Well, I just found out last night that my grandmother will be turning 95 years old and both my parents gave me the guilt-trip and how this could be her last year." Rhea states.

"And my parents already got me and my brother a ticket to Hawaii for the next couple of months. And by the time I would return, there would only be a couple of weeks left before college." Jeffrey says.

"Oh." I tell them. "What about you Dave?" I asked him.

"Unfortunately, I can not go because my sister just had her baby and her husband just left her. So she needs help and you know how my parents are. They won't help her." He tells us.

Aside from me being upset, I can not be selfish I'm the end. Besides, I do understand and do not want them to feel guilty.

"It's okay. I mean, it sucks but, I understand that things happen at the last minute." I half smile.

"We're so sorry." Rhea repeats.

"It's alright. I'll get over it." I shrugged my shoulders.

"We will try and see if we can come back for your birthday at least." She states.

"That would be good. Also, we can always have a great Winter break." I smiled and tried being optimistic.

We all sat there for a brief moment with each of us on the break of tears before I sat up straight and tried saying something funny before we continued to play the game and enjoy the time we had left together.

Now what was I going to do?! I know life happens and can pop up at random times with things at the last minute, like it has recently done with this, so again, I can not get mad because I don't blame them for wanting to help be there for their families.

I wish there were family members my father and I knew but after my.mother left, her family did not care to stay in touch and most of the ones on my father's side wanted nothing to do with us after he got divorced because they do not believe in divorce. So technically, it is truly just my father and I.

When later on I returned home and my father was already asleep, I did what I always do and wrote in my journal.

I have been writing since my mother left us and my therapist through the years told me it was a good way to get through things and I must admit that it sure has helped me out a lot.

To whom it may concern,

Tonight was.....interesting, to say the least. I got to see Rhea, Jeffrey and Dave. So much sadness hits me as I heard them try and apologize for having to cancel the trip we were supposed to take because of some unexpected events that have come up in their lives at the last minute. I could tell by their expressions and tones in their voices how disappointed they felt too that we had to cancel but I guess you could say it is just my luck.
Let's be honest, most of the time when anything good is about to happen, it doesn't. So this Summer I will have to entertain myself before I am off to college.
I am so lucky to have a father like I do. Although he has spent a lot of time with this woman for the past few months and seems to be really happy, I don't know. I still am not too sure I like it because that would mean I soon will have to meet her and I do not feel like having a new mother figure in my life.
Sorry, I guess I am rambling on like usual and prefer to keep things short. My Birthday is in a few weeks and I most likely will be spending it with my father and I am hoping my friends can come to visit for the weekend at least - it's better than nothing I suppose.
Well, guess I have nothing else to talk about.
So until tomorrow, goodnight.

I turn the light off and put my journal down next to it on the inn table before turning on to my side, looking out the window at the stars and moon before eventually closing my eyes.

Next chapter will be posted soon! :)