36.

GAIGE

There was only one week left until New Year's Eve and every year since Isla, Rudy and I have been eighteen, we made it a tradition to always head towards New York to watch the ball drop live. The thing that makes it even better to go is that I know one of the officers who works there every year and helps me and my friends out getting into the front and close to the stage of whomever is performing.

This year I am not too sure I am going to go though. In fact, Isla and Rudy are heading over right now because they always do at this time so we can go over the plan, although we already have booked ourselves rooms a few months ago.

My mother has already left to stay at her friend's house as she does every year and took Agatha along with her as well so that they could celebrate the New Year together. My mother invited me but I declined and explained I would stay here.

Rudy and Isla came walking in the door just as I was finishing grabbing a few drinks for us and sitting in the living room.

"So, what day are we leaving?" Rudy went ahead and asked.

"I'm not going." I tell them.

"What?!" Rudy and Isla said in unison.

"Why the hell not?!" Isla asked.

"Because I just don't feel like being around a bunch of people and.....just I'm not in the partying mood." I explain.

"Okay, what the hell have you done with our best friend?! Since when have you ever turned down a good time? Besides, this is our tradition." Rudy reminded me.

"I know that. Don't worry, I'll tell my friend, Rob, to make sure to still help you guys out." I reassure them.

"Come on. We aren't going to go without you." He stated.

"Yes you are! And you both are gonna have a great fucking time!" I told them.

Neither of them could believe what I just told them but I didn't care. I was not in the mood. Not to mention how I definitely was not in the mood considering the fact that couples all around would be kissing one another and unlike it not bothering me before, it would this time.

There was a brief moment of silence shared between us before I heard a big sigh come out of Isla's mouth.

"Look, there's something I have been wanting to tell you and I haven't because I wasn't sure in how you would take it." She started.

"What?" I asked while feeling a little worried, yet, curious at the same time.

"For the past few months, I have been speaking with Audrey." She says.

WOW! That was a surprise. It took me a moment to wrap my head around the fact that she has been in contact with Audrey and not tell me.

However, on the other hand, I guess I couldn't blame her. And I have been curious to see what all she has been up to. She does not seem to post a whole lot on her social media.

"How is she?" I asked in a surprisingly calmer tone.

"She's good. In fact, her and her friends have decided to spend New Year's in New York and watch the ball drop. She asked if Rudy and I wanted to come." Isla finishes.

I won't lie, it kind of hurt to know that she didn't mention me even though it wouldn't have made any sense if she had.

I am happy to hear her getting to scratch  that off her bucket list, even though she told me before that she has always wanted a New Year's kiss also. Maybe I should.....No. Forget it!

"Well you guys should definitely go then." I replied.

"Oh please. Why don't you save me the cliche response and just come with us. We both know your dumbass wants to see her." She mentioned as she rolled her eyes.

"No. Like I said...." I began to tell them both again until she stopped me.

"Listen, you can do whatever the hell you want and stay behind if you want to so you can wallow in your own self pity as you down some whiskey, but please do me the favor at least in NOT telling me about it!" Isla snapped at me as she stood up.

I have always loved that about her and Rudy in how they are just as blunt with me as I am with them. But I don't see how any of it would work though. She hates my guts and will most likely reject me and embarass me in front of everyone (not that I don't deserve it).

FUCK!! Why did I have to go and mess things up when I know I will never find anybody even CLOSE to her?!

Could it be too late?!?

Next chapter will be posted soon! :)