9. | Rain

TW: Mild Anxiety

Theme: Mild Angst and Fluff

It was a calm, humid spring evening. The Rosemeadow Middle School Dance had begun not too long ago and the occupations of the formal were already enjoying themselves. Well, expect for one student.

Zander was sitting in the far corner of the school's cafeteria, where the Dance was held, considering it was the largest part of the school besides the auditorium. His heart was beating a quick pace and his hands were fidgeting with the end of the table cloth. His best friend and sister had left him at the table all by himself to go greet people and talk. They had asked Zander if he'd want to join them, but he politely declined, telling them that he would rather watch the small orchestra in the other corner closest to him, that was performing a waltz. They seemed to understand and went off into the crowd. Zander had watched them leave and immediately felt his heart sink to his stomach. He felt uncomfortable, his head had started hurting and kept his gaze firmly on his lap.

Wow, this was pathetic. A fourteen year old boy who found it so difficult to spark up a conversation with another kid. He felt embarrassed; ashamed. Why was it so hard? Why was his brain telling him to go but his heart telling him to stop? It was confusing and it made the poor boy feel emotional. What was there even to be scared of, anyway? All it was was exchanging words. Although he couldn't help but feel scared at the thought of talking to someone he didn't know very well- heck, even greeting them would make his heart soar.

Zander quietly got up from his seat. He needed to step outside; it was all too much. He found the nearest exit, making his way past the people as fast as he could and pushing the door open. He was then greeted with the school's garden with rain pouring down from the dark clouds above. He hadn't even realized that it had started to rain while he was in there, it was too hard to hear the pitter-patter with all the chattering and chaos. He made his way to a bench under a tree so he wouldn't get soaked. The air had a chill to it, but nonetheless it was calming. His heart rate slowed a bit to a normal pace as he watched the sky and the water droplets fall from it onto the beige surface of the concrete.

The door that he entered had suddenly opened, making a creeping noise as he dashed his head toward it. He saw an auburn haired boy his age with light golden eyes smile at him, quickly coming towards him trying not to get soaked by the spring shower.

"Hey, I saw you leave just now, is everything okay?" He asked his companion, who he sat down next to on the bench.

"Yeah...I just...needed some air, that's all." He solemnly smiled keeping his head lowered. There was a silence among them for awhile. Luke had a feeling something was bothering Zander, but he decided to keep his mouth shut and enjoy the calming setting that was before him.

"Do you know why I like the rain so much?" The purple haired boy turned his head to Luke, his gaze finding its way to his beautiful eyes. Luke hummed in response to his question, turning his head to face him as well. There was another brief silence, then the lavender eyed boy spoke.

"This kind of weather makes everyone...disappear...you know?" He started. "No one enjoys going out in the rain...getting soaked. It kind of leaves the world desolate in a way."

Luke nodded in understanding his gaze shifting back towards the pouring rain and greenery in front of him; Zander's doing the same.

"Is that why you didn't want to come with us? To talk to our classmates?" Luke asked him gently.

"...Being around people makes me feel anxious," Zander confessed. His fists clenching a bit. "I know it's kind of stupid. I mean, I'm fourteen for God's sake, I should be able to talk to people without a problem...but, I just...I can't do it. And I don't know why."

Zander kept his voice low, he felt his eyes start to sting a bit and his throat clench up. He sniffled, bringing a hand to his eyes and his knees to his chest. He cleared his throat. "But I want you to know I don't feel that way around you. Or Hailey for that matter. It's just...it's a weird feeling and I don't know what's wrong with me or why it happens."

Luke brought his hand to Zander's. He carefully grasped it and rested it on on the bench. There was another silence among them, but it wasn't awkward, it was a peaceful, tranquil silence. Both of the boys feeling comfort in each other and the atmosphere around them.

Zander carefully rested his head on Luke's shoulder. He felt his heart beat speed up again, but this time it wasn't from his anxiety. Luke felt Zander's head on his shoulder and rested his own on top of his. The two shared a peaceful moment with each other. Under the tree, sitting together on a bench, staring out to the green garden with a fountain in the middle, spewing water in many directions and plants overtaking the infrastructure surrounding them.

Zander closed his eyes, his hand still tightly grasped by Luke.

"Thank you," Zander spoke quietly.

Luke smiled. Blush creeping it's way on his cheeks.

"You're welcome."

Ngl I almost shed a tear on this one 🥲 they're so wholesome I can't 😭

Anyway, next up is some first date fluff since basically the only thing I've written is angst to fluff and comfort lmao

Also feel free to request something if you want! I'm running out of ideas lol