41

TEARS OF A ROYAL BLOOD
41

ANDISWA

She feels stupid at this point that she came all the way from Mhlabuyalingana to Durban only to find her boyfriend cheating on her. The fact that he even denied knowing her in front of her girlfriend! If Solwazi didn’t come through for her, she honestly doesn’t know where she would have slept yesterday.
It’s the morning and she woke up early, she can’t oversleep at people’s houses. She needs to leave as soon as possible. She will catch the 10am train. She hopes she still has transport money in her bag. She would really be stranded if she doesn’t even have money. And she can’t ask Solwazi. He has already done so much.
She is afraid to even bath here, so she takes her baby and her bags and steps out of the room with the hope of leaving. But she finds Solwazi’s mother in the kitchen.

Andiswa:Good morning ma.

She met her yesterday. She seems nice.

Sindiswa:Morning Andiswa. Are you leaving already?

Andiswa:Yes. Thank you and your son for giving me a place to sleep.

Sindiswa:But you haven’t even eaten yet. Have you fed her?

Andiswa:No. I will grab some fruits at the station.

Sindiswa:Nonsense. Sit down and have breakfast. Give me.

She reached out for the baby. She gave her baby to her. She sat down and rubbed her hands together. She said a little prayer asking God to bless the food. She started eating and she couldn’t get enough. Sindiswa is a great cook. She finishes and washes her plate.

Andiswa:Thank you.

Sindiswa:A pleasure. Solwazi is still sleeping. He has been working hard these days without any rest. Why don’t you wait for him?

She looks at her confused. If she didn’t know any better, she would think she is matchmaking them.

Andiswa:Okay I will wait for him then.
.
.
.
.
ZIZIPHO

Almost everyone was here, and it was packed. She didn’t know the place would be crowded like this. I mean it’s just a small ceremony right?

She has met her grandparents (Sipho’s parents), and they are the sweetest.

Her father calls her outside and she follows him.

Zizipho:Everything okay dad?

Sipho:Yes, everything is going well with the preparations. I just wanted to talk to you.

Zizipho:Okay I am listening.

Sipho:First I just want to say I’m sorry that you had to live for 23 years without knowing your father, I know I didn’t know that you exist but I should have suspected back then that Qhawe would do something like this. There’s not a day that passed without me thinking of you. I still have the first scan from when me and your mother went for our first checkup.

She smiles.

Sipho:A part of me I guess couldn’t accept that my daughter was really gone. Everyday I had hope or the longing, to see you even if I could see you once. Seeing you now, all grown up and beautiful. It just makes me happy, and even if I could die now. I would die a happy man.

Zizipho:Oh dad.

She hugged him.

Zizipho:You don’t know how much excited I am to be here. I feel at home. Thank you for not giving up on me. I love you.

Sipho:I love you too. Now let’s go back inside.
.
.
.
.
.
LONDI

Maybe she is forcing things with Solwazi. Right now it just looks like she is forcing things. It’s like she’s the only one who wants this relationship to work. Her ancestors not wanting this relationship is just depressing her more, why would they do that?
She sighs and gets out of her room.