Chapter 19

In just ten short minutes, I'll be meeting him. I take a moment to adjust my jacket and carefully touch up my lipstick, wanting to make a good impression. We arrived in Detroit yesterday, and they wasted no time flying him in for the perfect photo op—a staged encounter as he enters my hotel. The whole setup feels surreal, and the fact that I've never even met this guy adds an extra layer of nerves to the mix.

As I steal a quick glance at myself in the mirror, I can't help but let my thoughts drift to Harry. I've messaged him a few times but have had no response, honestly, I don't know why I'm surprised... we made it pretty clear what we had was purely physical, but I can't help but feel hurt.

I stand by the window, looking out at the cityscape of Detroit. The vibrant lights and bustling streets are a stark contrast to the nerves that flutter in my stomach. Paul is on the phone, speaking in hushed tones. I can't help but wonder who he's talking to and what it's about.

Brendan is deep in conversation with my fake boyfriend's team. They're discussing security measures, ensuring our safety during this charade. On the other side of the room, Emma, my assistant, is focused on her laptop. As I take in the scene before me, a swirl of emotions engulfs me. This whole situation feels surreal.

I watch with a mix of excitement and nerves as the paparazzi swarm the entrance of the hotel, their cameras flashing relentlessly. A sleek black car pulls up, and the door swings open, revealing him—the guy I'm about to meet for the first time. I can't help but take a quick assessment of his appearance. Okay, he's not exactly ugly. In fact, he's definitely cute... I've always wanted to meet him and now I get to pretend to be his girlfriend.

He steps into the hotel, and we find ourselves waiting for the elevator to arrive. The anticipation weighs heavy on my chest, and my nerves tangle with each passing second. 'ding' the sound of the elevator sounds, and he walks out joined by a few other people.

"Thank you so much for coming on such short notice," Paul says, extending his hand to greet him. The tension in the room eases slightly as he takes Paul's hand with a firm grip. A smouldering gaze meets mine as he turns to face me, his striking features accentuated by a perfectly tousled mane of dark, tousled hair. His sculpted jawline and piercing brown eyes exude a magnetic allure that's impossible to ignore.

He approaches me with a confident stride, his eyes locked on mine. "Lucy Butler," he says, his voice laced with a hint of amusement, his lips curving into a captivating smile.

"Shawn Mendes," I reply, mustering a teasing grin of my own. Rumours of Shawn's recent breakup and the ensuing negative publicity have plagued him for months. So, I guess his management think the best way to change his status is to be seen dating me. Plus, he kind of looks like Harry so it's possible we can skew the story to be photos of Shawn and I kissing instead of Harry.

"Okay," Paul begins, his voice brimming with enthusiasm and strategic planning. "We think it would be great if you two drove to grab a coffee. It will give the impression of a budding romance and generate positive buzz among your fans and the media." He pauses, allowing the idea to sink in.

I nod, absorbing Paul's suggestion. A coffee date—simple yet effective. Shawn nods in agreement, his expression thoughtful yet cooperative. It's evident that he understands the importance of this. Paul continues, his voice filled with excitement. "And, Shawn, we want you to be seen supporting Lucy side stage at her show tonight."

With a shared nod, Shawn and I silently agree to go along with the plan. It doesn't sound too bad, right? Just hanging out and pretending to be in love. I reassure myself that we can handle it, treating it like a fun acting exercise.

Paul's instructions continue, and I feel a mix of nervous excitement. Hold hands, arm around the shoulder, maybe even a small kiss. It's all part of the act we have to put on. I glance at Shawn, who seems cool and collected. Maybe he's done this kind of thing before.