☆ 40 ☆

"Ready for your game?"

Ngumiti ako kay Ivan at inabot sa kanya ang bag ko. "Of course."

He gave me a proud smile, stretching out his lips from ear to ear.

It has been a month since I came back from that Victorian house. My life isn't as dreamy as it was when I was there at that beautiful house, minding my own business and just doing things unbothered. I was truly free that time but now, I'm back to my restricted life. Kahit with the help of Mom, nakakasakal na kapag may hindi kami pagkakaintindihan nila Nana ay pupunta ako kila Dad para doon mag-stay.

Even though sinusubukan nila Mom at Dad, I still feel choked. And knowing that time is passing slowly, naririnig ko na naman ang hinaing nila Nana.

"Good luck, Val," Dad told me as I got my things into Ivan's car. "Try ko humabol mamaya."

"It's alright. Thanks, Dad." I gave him a kiss on the cheek as a goodbye.

It has been a week since I stayed in Dad's house. Paano ba naman kasi, Nana started her talk about college again. Dahil malapit na ang mga admissions, lalo na sa favorite nilang Ivy League schools, she's telling me to get serious and think of my future.

"Don't you really have regards for your future?" galit na tanong ni Nana.

Ginaya ko naman ang tono niya. "I don't care about Ivy League schools if I can't even take the major that I want, Nana."

"Still on with that useless degree?"

"It's not useless. It's what I want," pagdidiin ko.

Lumalim ang guhit sa noo ni Nana habang nakatingin sa akin. "Then where will you study, here? So, you can still be with your boy?"

Nilabanan ko naman ang tingin ni Nana. "I'll study wherever I want as long as I get to study the major that I want."

She sighed, exasperated. "What future are you planning on, Valeria? See the bigger picture. What you want isn't going to take you anywhere!"

I found myself laughing at her words. "It's gonna take me away from you. And that's really fucking great."

"Valeria!" Dada, who's been watching me and Nana argue, warned.

Hind ko pinansin 'yun at ngumisi lang kay Nana. "Stop with this, Nana. You can't convince me out of my dreams with your bullshit."

"Then work hard for your own tuition and expenses," she spat. "This family won't give you even a penny on your dreams. You're just ruining your future with that silly major and your decision to still be with that idiot—"

"That's enough." I slammed my hand on the dining table, standing up. "Stop saying anything about him. And I have my father, Nana. My world isn't just about this family."