★ 30 ★

I watched as the shock changed her face. Her eyes widened and her lips parted. Her face right now is a picture-perfect expression that I want to remember for my next sketch.

"Like?" She finally spoke, blinking. "As in, what 'like'?"

What kind of like?

The kind of like that I'm willing to dedicate a whole sketchbook just to capture every expression you make. The kind of like that I'll cook you every meal you want. The kind of like that made me decide to bring you to my grandparents house just because you wanted to run away. The kind of like that made me want to keep you all to myself. The kind of like that I'm willing to let you change me. The kind of like that I'll let you control me. The kind of like that made me reconsider my future. The kind of like that made me want to be a better version of myself. The kind of like that made me go to school even though I hate studying just because I don't feel worthy enough for you and so that your grandmother will accept me.

The kind of like that made me question myself about all of my beliefs.

I felt my lips moving on their own, turning into a smile.

This isn't me. I know. And the only reason I'm like this is because of her.

The girl who looked at me and saw me. The girl who's annoyingly beautiful. The girl who was my most hard working note-taker. The girl who never backed down on any of the hate I threw at her. The girl who was never afraid to show me what she feels. The girl who can't keep her mouth shut. The girl who says words that I sometimes have to search online to recall what they mean. The girl who's a reader and a writer. The girl who's my research partner. The girl who never judged my writing but criticized me and taught me. The girl who got angry because my quiz got graded wrongly just because I couldn't write and spell words properly. The girl who fearlessly said she'll marry me and have kids with me despite knowing that my disability can be passed down to them.

The first ever girl who understood me.

Valeria Valentina-Epifaño.

"I love you."

She didn't move but her eyes were on me. I sat there staring at her face that I've memorized now. Three weeks. I never knew I'll be celebrating knowing that I'll see her tomorrow again.

She noticed my gaze at her. She blinked again, looking down. "Why?" her voice was small. "And how?"

"Would you listen if I tell you?"

She looked up, meeting my eyes with those mesmerizing ones. "Yeah..."

Where did this fucking bullshit start?

"Axl."

I turned to look at grandma.