☆ 1 ☆

From the moment that you were born, your life has been decided. And the biggest influence on it is what family you'll be born in. I'm rather fortunate to be born in a family with great fortune and influence. Fame, beauty and money are no stranger to us. But in this family, my family, something is passed down that is an enemy to life.

Cancer runs in our genes. In every generation, one is to die of that disease. In my mother's generation, it was her brother, Uncle Malyen. In my generation, it's me.

I didn't know immediately that I was the unfortunate one chosen by destiny. So I dreamed and dreamed and dreamed. I imagined the life I would have in the long life I have ahead of me. Until one day, when I was eight, the doctor gave me the most painful news I've heard.

I had cancer. But I survived it. Thankfully. I was fortunate to have it when I was young so I had a higher chance of survival. I was lucky but not so much for my Uncle.

Today, I'm at his funeral. I'm already eighteen and I've lived for four years cancer free. 

Today, I witnessed how my Aunt cried silently on the death of her husband. Beside her is her son, my cousin, Vasily. He's never moved an inch from his seat. It has been a day since he stayed there to stare at his father's casket, his father who died of the same disease that I survived.

I wonder if my mother would be like Aunt Vivien who can't stop crying when I die. Or will she be like Vasily who wouldn't be able to function well. There's a chance I'll have cancer back but for now, I'll be a person alive in someone's funeral.

Beside me, someone stood as I watched my cousin. "I'm glad to see you here, Valeria."

I turned to her. "I'm here to pay respect, Mother."

"I know." She smiled. "I'm just glad to see you after months."

I sighed, looking away. "I've been well. If you're wondering."

"That's very good." She nodded once. "I guess your father's family is treating you well."

"He is. Better than at home."

I saw her jaw move. "Thank you for telling me."

"You're welcome."

Maraming tao ang dumalo sa burol ni Uncle so hindi na masyadong napansin ng pamilya ko ang presensya ko. Me, the grandchild who ran away and is now living with her father's family. I don't really plan on interacting with anyone but when I saw my cousins, nilapitan ko sila.

"Ooh, look who's here," salubong sa akin ni Vanya nang makita ako.

"It's the runaway princess," Viktor teased.

I rolled my eyes to that nickname. "Hello to all of you too."