Chapter 20

Trigger Warning: SH mention

Shoko sadly looked over to the small window. He sighed and let a small flame escape his palm. The doctor had told him his wound was nothing fetal, but he would need to gain energy back by himself since he had lost a lot of blood. And currently, he was sitting with Iroh, patiently waiting for the new roll of bandages that were requested he changes every once in a few times.

They also had to examine all the burn marks and cuts around his body, although they were practically healed, it was only to make sure he was in no pain. 

"I wonder," Iroh suddenly spoke, catching Shoko's attention. "How someone like you could possibly get all those scars at such a young age."

"Nothing special, mostly from training at my time as an assassin."

Iroh hummed and stroked his beard, "That reminds me. Do you know Commander Zhao, personally, I mean? I couldn't help but notice how much you tense up at the pure mention of his name."

Shoko sighed and slowly nodded, "It showed huh?" He took a deep breath before continuing, "Yeah I do. After he took me and Aang in... he called me Black Wolf, and that practically unlocked a new memory, he planned all the action and I killed for him-"

"But that isn't the full story is it?"

"I can't hide anything from you" Shoko slightly chuckled, "I keep getting flashes of someone's face, but I can't see it clearly... there was someone else along with me and Zhao... it seems like we were close..." At that instant, a crew member walked in with the rolled-up bandages, he handed them to Iroh and bowed before walking back out, closing the door behind him. 

"Don't try to force it, just let it come naturally" Iroh smiled weakly as he unrolled the bandages, gently yet firmly wrapping them around Shoko's thigh. "By the way, I don't mean to pry, but I noticed the scars on your arms are all aligned. Were they torture methods or-"

"Some are self-inflicted, but others aren't, they required assassins to be tortured if we failed a mission, to teach us."

"Such a cruel yet beautiful world" Iroh sadly gazed at his arm. "Could I get some to hide them as well? I don't like seeing them" Shoko frowned. Iroh nodded slowly and handed him another roll, "Take care of yourself Shoko, I can't have you getting hurt anymore than this."

"I'll try."

❥・❥

Shoko sat behind Iroh, who had invited him for tea bright and early the next day. 

Iroh grabbed a small cup and poured the liquid into it, "Would you like some Shoko?"

"No thanks."

Silence then took over the room, and to be honest, Shoko found it calming. The room was dim and warm, something that he needed after a long morning of being in his room that had a bright light at the top, which gave him non-stopping headaches.