Chapter 35

鬼

The ferry departed, and on board were Zuko, Iroh, and Shoko.

"Who would have thought after all these years, I'd return to the scene of my greatest military disgrace," Iroh said and turned away, a second later, he came back with a floral hat on his head "As a tourist! Shoko, what do you think?"

Said boy was leaning on the railings, staring deep at the ocean, "Eh, kind boring when you've already been here."

"Look around. We're not tourists, we're refugees" Zuko reminded and took a bite of his food, spitting it out in disgust not a second later. "Ugh! I'm sick of eating rotten food, sleeping in the dirt. I'm tired of living like this!"

"Aren't we all?" A brown shaggy-haired boy with a piece of hay in his mouth appeared nearby them, "My name's Jet. And these are my Freedom Fighters. Smeellerbee and Longshot."

Shoko stilled at the mention of those three names he dreaded to hear. He kept his back to the boys with wide eyes, sweating as he hoped no one recognized him. He then quickly pulled his black hood up to cover his long blue hair.

"Hey," Smellerbee greeted. And as expected, Longshot only nodded.

"Hello."

"Here's the deal. I hear the captain's eating like a King while the refugees have to feed off his scarps. Doesn't seem fair, does it?"

"What sort of King is he eating like?" Iroh jumped into the conversation.

"The fat, happy kind" Jet responded. Iroh's mouth hung open as he began to drool, already imagining all the sorts of delicious foods he could be eating. "You wanna help us literate some food?"

From the corner of Shoko's eyes, he saw Zuko looking down at his chunky, rotten bowl of soup. He grabbed the Prince's arm while still keeping his back toward the others. "We shouldn't. We can't afford to get in trouble. Plus, we don't even know these guys."

Zuko took back his hand and pulled himself away, completely ignoring Shoko's words and throwing his bowl into the sea so he could turn around. "I'm in."

"Is he with you guys?" Smellerbee asked, pointing at Shoko's back.

"He is" Zuko responded. They all stood silently, awaiting for Shoko to turn around and introduce himself. But he never did.

"Meet here when the sun goes down. We'll start then" Jet declared before his group walked off.

Shoko sighed in relief and finally turned around.

He was feeling ill as memories of Sokka and Katara flooded back to him. The Water Tribe girl's words describing him made him clench his fists in anger. She didn't understand who he truly was, so her opinion on how he should behave was irrelevant.