Chapter 38

鬼

It was uncomfortable. 

Everyone in the tea shop knew. Iroh knew. Heck, even Pao knew. 

But everything was so tense. Zuko couldn't sleep a wink without nightmares reawaking him. Realization hit him hard. He had seen a flash of blue last night right when he pulled away from the kiss he shared with Jin. He wasn't stupid. He knew it was Shoko. And the guilt that spread throughout his body only worsened when he heard sniffles coming from Shoko's room in the dead of night.

He just didn't know what to say. It wasn't like he did anything remotely wrong. Shoko made it clear he only wanted to be friends. 

Yet that very same guilt ate him up. He's ashamed to admit, the moment he leaned in to kiss Jin... he didn't picture her face in his mind. He pictured, Mai's, Mio's, and Shoko's. 

Deep down, he knew he was messed up for imagining all three at the same time. Whenever he tried to clear up the mess, Shoko would always run off to his friend's house. Sure he understood why. Shoko was heartbroken before. And it left a big impact on him. He couldn't trust others, he had lost his memories, and their friendship started off rocky.

Yet at the same time, Zuko felt drawn to Shoko's presence. He felt like Shoko was the only one he could trust his soul with. And he had messed up - again.

Pao quickly moved to get closer to Iroh, snapping Zuko out of his own little world. "What's going on? Are you trying to poach my tea-makers?"

"Sorry Pao, but that's business for you, am I right?" A customer spoke.

"Mushi, if you stay, I'll make you assistant manager" Pao desperately tried to hold onto Iroh. Shoko was listening to the conversation, he just wasn't concerned as much. 

"Wait, senior assistant manager!"

"I'll provide you with a new apartment in the Upper Ring," The customer said. Zuko stood next to a dazed Shoko, he was listening, but mostly sneaking glances at the other boy, wondering what was on his mind. 

"The tea shop is yours to do whatever you want, complete creative freedom."

"I even get to name the shop?" Iroh asked, seemingly more interested by the second.

"Of course!" The customer replied.

"Uh, senior executive assistant manager?" Pao stepped in, understanding very well he had lost his best tea maker.

Iroh handed him the pot and bowed to the customer, agreeing to their terms. Pao walked away sadly as Zuko and Shoko walked closer to Iroh. "Did you hear? This man wants to give us our own tea shop in the Upper Ring of the city!" 

"That's right, gentlemen, your life is about to change for the better!" The customer shouted excitedly.

"I'll try to contain my joy," Zuko said sarcastically.