Chapter 53

鬼

       鬼

His room was bare and cold. He felt the same as well, but he chose to ignore it. The spark, the warmth, the adrenaline rush in his blood, it was all gone.

His fire.

Sitting on the edge of his rock-hard bed, he reached over to his bag and opened it, pulling out a small box. Popping the lock, he was met with his mother's blue necklace. He took off the one he was currently wearing and placed the blue cloth around his neck. It fits snugly.

It felt like she was still here with him to this day. One can only wish. A sudden knock brought his attention to the door.

"Hi," Aang greeted awkwardly.

"Hey."

Slowly, Aang stepped inside, looking at everything except Mio. "I just wanted to talk about what happened."

Why act surprised when he had expected this? Placing the necklace Zuko gifted him inside the box, he clicked it close and put it back in his bag.

Aang nervously took a seat a little farther away from Mio. "So... uh, about Sokka-"

"How've you been?" Mio interrupted him, leaning his back against the wall. "It's been a while since we talked normally without any official business."

The younger boy faltered, brows furrowing as he stared at him. He was caught off guard, thrown off by Mio's casual question. It took him a moment or two to gather his thoughts before he looked away. "I've been well. And you?"

Mio shrugged. "Mostly in prison, I guess."

Aang nodded slowly, "I meant, before the Fire Nation, in Ba Sing Se..."

Ah, that was it. "I was forced to join a teashop by Uncle Iroh, and I met Rui there. That's kind of how I learned more about Mikoto."

The monk laughed nervously, "She's almost like Toph." Yeah, she almost was. Only, Rui thought through before charging, Toph did as she pleased, obviously fighting was her better skill.

Just like that, the smiles melted off their faces, but the way Aang looked at him said everything. The little conversation Mio started did help to lighten the pressure on their shoulders, and very much lessened the awkward feeling.

"Sokka didn't mean it. You know how much of a boomerang head he can be. We don't think you'll betray us. We trust you, Mio."

All Mio could do was sit still and listen. Sure, he considered himself close with Sokka, close enough that they would have faith in each other even if one of them chose the evil Fire Lord's son's team and decided to help him capture the Avatar as a mere gift so he could regain his honor.